• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 summit x vs 2015 rmk pro

P
Dec 1, 2018
So, my brother in law has been trying to get me into snowmobiling for a while and I might be taking the plunge this winter. He got an offer for two sleds since he has been in the sort very small sled circle for the past few years. 2 things for you to bear in mind, one being that I am from Europe, and this sled will be ridden in central to southeast Europe. The terrain is of medium difficulty, some woods, but not too dense....no really big moguls, really high jumps or really fluffy powder. No gromed tracks, only backcountry in the mountains. There is pow but not in the way you guys have it out west :face-icon-small-ton. The other thing is production years...when I say 2014, I mean produced and sold in 2014!!! We do not have the next year "numeration" if that makes sense.

The first sled is a 2014 (produced and sold mid 2014) summit 800 with heated grips, custom graphics, sports exhaust from a friend of his. It has a 155 track with 2.6 paddles. This sled he knows, its been taken care of and is fully serviced and ready for the season.

The other one is a Polaris pro rmk snowcheck with full equipment from the dealer. It is a sled produced in november 2015, 163 with 3' paddles and axys chassis. This is a sled from the Polaris dealer, ie his own personal sled. This was probbably been taken care of well, but I'm guessing also that he let allot of people try it. The sled has heated grips, sports exhaust, big screen, bags, walker evens shocks with clickers, and a few other small tings that dont really matter.

My brother in law is pushing me the Doo route....most of the people ride doo's here (like 80-90%) since they have been in the market for much more longer that the Poo. He owned a 2013 rmk assault and after riding a doo he said he would never go back. The steering is much more difficult and heavy. He was exausted after a ride on his sled sometimes and on a doo never so much. Also there is a price difference of about 1500$ between the 2 (doo is cheaper). From what I can gather, the doo's are more friendly to the beginner, and maybe the 155 thack is more playfull. The 163 is better in the really deep stuff even more so with the 3' paddles. But is the price diff worth it + that sled may be more stiff and oriented for the experienced rider. Also, Doo's are more epensive to buy new here (summit vs rmk pro is a 2000 $ diff), and that kind of reflects in the used market.

p.s a im 6.1 with 198 lbs.

edit: the doo is a Freeride 2014 , not a summit. Its the top of the line or the more expensive one...just got corrected by my brother in law.

Last edited:

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Doo will be a 154 with a 2.5" track unless someone has changed things around.

What mileage is on either machine?

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
The Pro/Axys shines in the steep stuff, holds side hills very easy, it would be MY first choice.
That said, the Doo XM chassis is close in handling IMO, even though I prefer the Polaris.
Power...is a wash. Both are good reliable sleds.
The biggest factor I see is parts. Bombardier is well known in europe, you said it yourself. Probably most people ride Lynx. Parts, service, knowledge will be better with the Dooo

P
Dec 1, 2018
The Doo is infact a 154 with a 2.5....it was an asumpiton on my part in the first post. Just thought those were the default measurements.

Rmk has about 3k km (1.850 miles) on the clock, and the Doo about 2-2.5k (1.500 miles). The Polaris has probably been ridden harder....since the Doo owner is a intermediate rider.

I am drawn to the Polaris because in all of the review i saw /read it seems to be awesome sidehilling, great chasis, etc....+ 163 and 3" - not sure if this track length is a benefit for me? On the other hand, the people I will be riding with seem to all prefer Doo's because they seem to offer lighter steering, and I'm not sure if this is something that is in fact true, or a general misconception that is just going around for years?

There is also a price diff of about 1500 $ between the 2. If I go the Doo route I have a nice chage for gear....but if the rmk is really that much better Ill rather buy a good sled and save for gear later.

For my size / weight is the 163 with 3" better or it wont make a big diff for a novice?

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I myself would buy the Doo. Love the Pro chassis, have owned 2, but hate the reliability. I've owned the 14 Doo and loved that chassis too. Some people don't like the way the Doo handles, but I can jump on any of the big 3 sleds and feel right at home. You just have to adjust your riding style to the way each one wants to be ridden.

P
Dec 1, 2018
I am leaning for the doo also, but the 165 and 3 are pulling me to the rmk :face-icon-small-win. I have 198 lbs....is the track on the doo (154 with 2.5) enough for my size? That is my main concern at this point. Other things like the cosmetics (nicer screen, bags, etc..) are not really important. The chassis from what I have read (axys on the Poo, and XM on the Doo) seem to be on par?!

Premium Features