• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 RMK pro 800 broken drive shaft

K
Dec 31, 2018
Has anyone had problems with broken drive shaft on the clutch side. I have seen post of 2013 RMK breaking on the drive side before the collier was added. I replaced all drive and skid frame bearings last year trying to track a squealing noise. Fourth ride this year under 200 trail miles. What would cause this?

IMG_5987.JPG IMG_5985.JPG

o2bncamo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2009
wisconsin
Is that bearing locked up? That would seem like the only reason it would fail like that.

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
The bearings fixed your squealing noise? Did you find a bad bearing? Did you have the collar? Could be it was weakened before the new bearings or collar.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
No idea. I had a bearing freeze up and the shaft spun in the inner race and had a major gap. Replaced the shaft with a NOS part that had the bearing on it.

K
Dec 31, 2018
With new drive shaft track is still rubbing in front of the tunnel when riding slow on trail. If I drill out lower front skid mounting hole will it cause problems? Does tightening front track spring do anything to keep track from rubbing? I tightend front spring and loosened rear spring no change. A friends sled front track spring is loosened almost completely? Does anyone know of a source for a new rear skid mounting bracket if I need to drop it also?

EAB9F5B5-AD99-4272-ABC0-9223B1DB3692.jpeg

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
With new drive shaft track is still rubbing in front of the tunnel when riding slow on trail. If I drill out lower front skid mounting hole will it cause problems? Does tightening front track spring do anything to keep track from rubbing? I tightend front spring and loosened rear spring no change. A friends sled front track spring is loosened almost completely? Does anyone know of a source for a new rear skid mounting bracket if I need to drop it also?
Push the drivers over a bit so the track rides more centered. Hit them sidewauys with a blockof wood and hammer. Unless your tunnel is bent or something?

Or do you mean it is hitting the bulkhead in front? In that case I expect you are not running something stock? Different drivers? It will be a wheelie machine if you drop the front of the skid to the other hole.

K
Dec 31, 2018
It sounds like it is rubbing in the tunnel not on the side. When I had the track out I saw black marks on the cooler about 6” back from the front. I am not sure if it happened when I towed it back with the drive axle broken or if it was from dragging when riding normally. It look like the top of the front shock has been rubbing, the track doesn’t look worn in the center.

K
Dec 31, 2018
The bearings fixed your squealing noise? Did you find a bad bearing? Did you have the collar? Could be it was weakened before the new bearings or collar.
Collar is on the drive side. I don’t think the bearings caused the squeaking noise. After replacing the bearings and they all felt good I pulled apart the driven clutch and found a strip of belt stuck. The sheaves of the driven clutch were worn on one side probably causing the squeal. Now the noise is the track hitting the front of the tunnel when I hit bumps going slow. I was resigned to just ignore the noise until I broke the drive axle.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Collar is on the drive side. I don’t think the bearings caused the squeaking noise. After replacing the bearings and they all felt good I pulled apart the driven clutch and found a strip of belt stuck. The sheaves of the driven clutch were worn on one side probably causing the squeal. Now the noise is the track hitting the front of the tunnel when I hit bumps going slow. I was resigned to just ignore the noise until I broke the drive axle.
Strange for sure. Check if the top of the front skid shock is rubbing the track? If the bushings are very worn something like this could be happening. With everything in spec. this should not happen.

K
Dec 31, 2018
I found the front track shock is supper stiff. I removed the skid, I can only move the shock a little when I put all of my weight on it with the skid upside down. I removed the shock and the spring I cannot move the shock. I can compress the shock using a c clamp, the spanner ring used to compress the spring will only turn about 1/4 turn either way now. I was able to tighten it last month moving it over 1" tighter. I think the shock is shot and may be my problem. Shock was Walker evansracing p/n 7043602. I installed a set of Fox shocks that a friend had as spares. I did drill out the lower front skid mount hole so I can drop the front of the skid if needed.

Premium Features