• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 m8000 factory clutch alignment way out

S

sketch96

Dec 23, 2011
<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I switched to a cat this year from polaris because of the rock solid suzuki 800 motor. I was a little unsure about the belt issues that cat has had the last 2 years so I bought the clutch alignment bar from my dealer just to check before I take it out for the first time.

The manual gives the part number for the alignment bar as 0644-588. and it also shows in detail how to check the alignment along with a good picture. SO.....I check mine out and low and behold it is wayyyy out of alignment. Not only does the bar touch the inner sheave of the drive clutch instead of just touching the outer sheave with a gap showing between the bar and the inner sheave, but the gap spec for the drive clutch sheave to the bar (book shows a MAX .060" gap) is roughly .115" wide.

My drive clutch needs to be shimmed tighter by about .050" and the clutches need to be aligned.

My question is.....Has anyone else checked their new 2014 m8000? Is the manual correct for sure in the alignment procedure? Is the pic correct?

Another issue I did notice was when I was removing the belt. After the belt was off I went to thread the driven clutch bolt back in to open the sheaves and the clutch bound up? I had to physically give the sheaves a twist and it unbound. This has happened a few times. Dont like that the secondary binds up with no load just threading in the bolt<!-- google_ad_section_end -->​

progress.gif
Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote Blog this Post http://www.snowandmud.com/report.php?p=1801221

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
You need to take it back to the dealer. They did a shotty PDI on it and I would piss and moan until they paid your gas for the trip back.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
That is the the incorrect alignment tool

The correct bar is 1.485". Part # 0644-428

2013s used the 1.450"

Once the 13s get the "Big Fin" clutch they will also need to use the 1.485" alignment bar.

Apparently there is an error in the Cat book. This was verified by a tech at Arctic Cat.

So really the alignment is pretty darn close.

I think most come with (2) .060" shims. Some need (1) .30" and and (1) .060"

Also, I find the quickest way to swap belts is to just remove the secondary clutch and slide the new belt onto the secondary, then slide the secondary back onto the jackshaft.

1rarel78

Feb 29, 2008
Spokane WA
Did you guys put the rivets back or use self tapers for the guard? I told my dealer to check the alignment but I see the guard has not been off. Can you check it withe the guard in place?

S

sketch96

Dec 23, 2011
Yup! the manual is incorrect! Talked to my dealer and he looked it up and confirmed that the 428 is the right one. Got it coming!

Premium Features