• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 PRO Handling input needed

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
Greetings all - I bought my wife a 2013 PRO. I did a switch to Alternative impact 36" front end. Had all four shocks rebuilt, re-valved the rear track shock for her weight and add Z-bros dual rates on the front. The thing steers very hard and is difficult getting up on edge. I plan to adjust center shock and rear shock to relieve ski pressure and possibly will put shorter bars on for her. Seams like the rear has more sag than my 19'. Anything else I can do to make it easier to get up on edge and steer? Longer limiter strap? I also put rails on it from a 2020 PRO and it has ski's off a 20 RMK as well set at 36" ski stance

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I would measure C to C on the front shocks and make sure someone did not switch them off a different sled, such as 11-12 Pro or Axys (longer shocks). I believe the AI a-arms take stock length shocks, 16.25 IIRC. Also make sure someone did not put Axys spindles onto it, some guys were doing that, they are taller and would cause more ski pressure. The 2020 rails should work fine on the 2013, but the rear shocks would not if you put those on there, unless all the components were put on (the whole skid assembly). All this checks out, then playing with rear shock preload is what you need to do, more preload on front track shock, less on rear... 2020 skis should be the same too.

And I saw where some guy switched the upper a-arms between sides accidentally (or maybe it was the lower, I don't recall, and I don't know which might be a possible mistake based on the design as I no longer have a Pro) and it changed the front geometry a lot (for the worse), just throwing this out there in case it happened to you.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
I would measure C to C on the front shocks and make sure someone did not switch them off a different sled, such as 11-12 Pro or Axys (longer shocks). I believe the AI a-arms take stock length shocks, 16.25 IIRC. Also make sure someone did not put Axys spindles onto it, some guys were doing that, they are taller and would cause more ski pressure. The 2020 rails should work fine on the 2013, but the rear shocks would not if you put those on there, unless all the components were put on (the whole skid assembly). All this checks out, then playing with rear shock preload is what you need to do, more preload on front track shock, less on rear... 2020 skis should be the same too.

And I saw where some guy switched the upper a-arms between sides accidentally (or maybe it was the lower, I don't recall, and I don't know which might be a possible mistake based on the design as I no longer have a Pro) and it changed the front geometry a lot (for the worse), just throwing this out there in case it happened to you.
Yikes - I did put AXYS spindles on it. Can I adjust springs to correct? I thought I had got Dan's blessing at AI prior to swapping. the stock spindles were smoked.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
Yikes - I did put AXYS spindles on it. Can I adjust springs to correct? I thought I had got Dan's blessing at AI prior to swapping. the stock spindles were smoked.
More i think about - with the high clearance arms - Dan stated that would change my geometry to align with the AXYS models so the spindles would be a great fit.

R
Mar 15, 2008
More i think about - with the high clearance arms - Dan stated that would change my geometry to align with the AXYS models so the spindles would be a great fit.

Did you move the rear suspension down to match the lifted front? If not wouldn’t lifting the front effectively just give your more ski pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Did you move the rear suspension down to match the lifted front? If not wouldn’t lifting the front effectively just give your more ski pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What he said... not sure how you can do this without risking stabbing the track, possibly adding antistab and dropping to the Assault mounting position in the front, or changing to assault rails. I'd find some used 11-15 Pro spindles and solve it that way myself. Just easier. 2011 and 12 had bronze? bushings IIRC, newer had plastic, just fyi.

Last edited:
K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
What he said... not sure how you can do this without risking stabbing the track, possibly adding antistab and dropping to the Assault mounting position in the front, or changing to assault rails. I'd find some used 11-15 Pro spindles and solve it that way myself. Just easier. 2011 and 12 had bronze? bushings IIRC, newer had plastic, just fyi.
Thank you

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
Update - I ordered much lower bars for my wife. They had 7" bars and will start with a bar with 2" rise and also ordered a 2" riser if needed. Reminder she is 5' 3" . Also took some preload out on front track shocks and added pre-load on front track shock.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
My plan is to reach out to IceAge and see if adding Khaos rails, longer limiter strap and moving the front suspension mount to the lower position is the answer. Possibly longer FTS or the Raptor shock eyelet. Anyone know of anyone that has done this?

Premium Features