• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 polaris pro rmk 800 detonation and running hot

O
Jan 19, 2020
Hello everyone im new here and im looking for advice on my 2013 polaris pro rmk 800 i went out for a ride yesterday and all of sudden it bogged down and had a detonation problem and my temp light came on. Any advice on what my problem(s) might be !!!!
Im thinking maybe a bad or faulty sensor(s

O
Jan 19, 2020
No i didn't 05rmksteve so i don't know how hot it got . But i went out the next day and played around with mode an select switches and was able to bring up the temp setting so now i can watch it closer next time i ride

O
Jan 19, 2020
I did take it out for a ride the next day with the temp setting on and it got up 125 degrees is that the normal temperature range !!!
And while riding it acted like it wanted to bog down again and did it for a few seconds and came out of it and didn't do it again

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Yes 125 is normal operating range and detention is usually caused by bad fuel. Are you running fuel with or with out ethanol? Are you running the sled in the proper fuel mode with the fuel being used?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
O
Jan 19, 2020
Im running 91 octane non ethanol.
Digital dash shows 91- non
I put fresh fuel in it when i brought it home right before Thanksgiving.
Do i need to run higher octane fuel in it !!!
One thing i thought of would it be wise to get a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and dump in the tank to clean the injectors !!!
Or is that a no no .

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
As long as it's good 91 non ethanol your fine.
I've heard of some guys using amsoil injector cleaner, JB fuel conditioner injector cleaner, seafoam or there's some for outboard motors that's supposed to work good cant remember if it was from Johnson or mercury.

O
Jan 19, 2020
Ok thanks 05rmksteve .
That's one thing i get picky on is fuel if it recommends 91 thats what i put in it .
Who knows what it had in it for fuel or how long it sat around before i bought the sled and who knows maybe the the tank had condensation in it and it worked it through the fuel system and thats why it bogged down and got hot on me .
I will get some injector cleaners and try them out

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
As long as it's good 91 non ethanol your fine.
I've heard of some guys using amsoil injector cleaner, JB fuel conditioner injector cleaner, seafoam or there's some for outboard motors that's supposed to work good cant remember if it was from Johnson or mercury.

Sea foam

O
Jan 19, 2020
I think i figured out why it got hot and threw a detonation code and bogging down it had the wrong weights in see picture .
Those are mountain weights for 10,000 to 12,000 ft mountains.
Im lucky i didn't blow the f-ing motor up.
I put my new dalton dalton quick change clutch weights in and weighted for around home here now all i need is snow to go try it out .

20200202_105700.jpg

Premium Features