• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 m8 no spark

S
Mar 4, 2008
Bend, OR
2010 m8 with 4000mi no spark. I have found some great info on here but I'm still stumped. Sled was running good before this happened, it was like someone was hitting.the kill switch. Kept happening more frequently til it would not start. So far I have disconected the key, kill switch and tail light. Still no spark. It did get driven with a broken pull start for 2 days prior but I find it hard to beleive that it messed up the stator. There was rope dust in there but nothing grenaded. I turned off the lights in the garage and pulled on it and all the lights come on. Does this mean my sled is making electicity? I also tested what I beleived to be the stator coil resistance and got 0 ohms for both. Anyone got any ideas?

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
There is a good chance that you shorted your stator by running it with the rope broke. Have you tried unplugging the emergency kill switch on the bars. If you have a simple issue it would be there. It sounds like you have no knowledge about a stator so it is hard to tell you how to test it. There are several different coils on the stator that provide power for different circuts. Each one has a specific ohm range that it needs to be with in. You would need to have the factors and wire colors to test it. First thing to do is to unplug your switch and the emergency switch, give it a try.

S
Mar 4, 2008
Bend, OR
New stator installed, still no spark...lights light up when I pull on it, so its making electricity fine. It has 4 ignition coils, if one went out will the others work?

S
Dec 5, 2010
MN
next thing to try would be wiring harness. check for shorts. had an 05 M6 that wouldl keep taking out stators, turns out it was bad wiring. also check your ground wire under coolant bottle.

M

mocflats

Jan 21, 2009
Try checking wires going to tail light I've had a few that had this problem sled was a older m8 and would just die now and then

R
Feb 24, 2009
Gunnison, Co
ignition wires!!

take and unscrew all ignition wires from the spark plug boots and from the coils, either cut 1/4" off of both ends and reinstall or you could go to your local motorsport shop and buy new ignition wire for like a buck a foot and put that in. I had some ignition wire problems on my 07 m1000 (inconsistent firing and bogging). I bought 3 or 4 feet of wire and that fixed the problem. Also its a good idea to use dielectric grease on all wire connections, as water can get in there and corrode the inner wire causing you to lose the connection and spark.

M
Feb 27, 2019
Did you ever solve the issue? I have same identical think happen looking for answers

I am in the same boat as you and have changed stator and still no spark. What did you end up finding?

G

Gibsons

Nov 26, 2007
saskatoon
Working on an 08 M8 last week with no spark, and a couple things to check that I found. Check the wires going into the ECU. I found two wires that had rubbed through each other. Also the two wires going into the fuel tank (just behind the aluminum plate in front of the steering post). Had 2 wires that wore through on the brass fitting. Sled fires up now, but when full throttle, it rev's up and down. maybe rev limiter, but not sure.

Premium Features