• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 etec battery draining itself

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Hi all

Trying to help a friend with his Renegade 600 etec. He has put two new batteries it recently and over the course of a couple weeks the battery will go dead. Even without using it. Would it be a loose wire or maybe a frayed one that's grounding out?

Wondering where to start?

Tia!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

R
Nov 16, 2016
If it's not the battery itself, this is typically called a parasitic drain.

Using the P of E (process of elimination) unplug each suspect harness (one at a time) until you no longer see a reading between the Negative battery terminal and chassis Negative.

jdrmx

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2013
Eastern SD
Unhook the negative battery cable and put a test light inline with the cable and the battery post, clamp on the cable and the probe on rhe post. If it lights up there is a draw, then start unplugging connectors, fuses and relays until it goes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
my sled (2012 800 etec) had the relay by the oil res go bad causing the battery to not recharge itself.
Have not had time from work yet to look at it. But the main problem seems to be that the battery drains when the sled is just sitting there. It's also possible that it's not charging as well.

Had to pull start via the ratchet strap/clutch method on a recent fishing trip.

Charge battery overnight, install, go fishing. End of day, battery dead. This is about a 7 mile ride out to the fishing hotspot.

R
Nov 16, 2016
Have not had time from work yet to look at it. But the main problem seems to be that the battery drains when the sled is just sitting there. It's also possible that it's not charging as well.

Had to pull start via the ratchet strap/clutch method on a recent fishing trip.

Charge battery overnight, install, go fishing. End of day, battery dead. This is about a 7 mile ride out to the fishing hotspot.

I would do as suggested..... take a reading between the battery and the disconnected cable. With your test instrument still connected, start disconnecting things until you no longer see the draw.

Also, keep in mind that when a battery's voltage is very low, or when the battery is dead, this is when they go bad..... and given enough time and/or cycles of being dead, there is NO recovery!
In other words, get that battery on the charger when you return each time.

Premium Features