• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 800 engine question

Post number 3 has been selected as best answered.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
bought a couple 800 Dragons to part or fix, the 2009 with blown crank (mag rod) is getting parted out as chassis is not so nice and the 2010 is getting fixed (bad crank and hole in case) as it is in very clean nice condition. Is the 09 engine compatible to use in the 10 as far as fuel system and wiring? Haven't pulled the 10 apart yet and not sure if it has CFI-2 or 4. I know the cylinders and upper cases are the main differences but will the 09 cylinders and case work in place of the 10? Cylinders and cases are in decent shape in the 09 where the 10 case is definitely worse (windowed). Had a buddy give me a 2011 case but it is CFI-2 and he has a decent cylinder to go with and if the 10 is CFI-2 I would go that route for the thicker skirts. Looking to see if I can build a decent engine and just do a swap one night. Limited shop space.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
All are CFI-4 on 800 RMKs of that vintage, ECUs are compatible too, only differences may be the flash in them and the injector color setting. If you have yellow injectors your ECU better be the yellow injector flash...

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Thanks, ended up rebuilding 09 engine and installing in the 10 chassis. Both had CFI 4 with yellow injectors. 2010 motor still ran but big hole in case, missing part of PTO intake side cylinder skirt and most of intake side of piston skirt. All pieces gone, Crank still turns fine but would never trust that rod again. 09 engine just needed crank, pistons and repaired some stress cracks in bottom of case from when Mag rod bearing failed. Runs great with the SLP pipe set and PCV. Sled was run with a fuel cap that had no plastic left over guage and stored without a cover in back of pickup. Full of water. Used the whole fuel system off the 09 including the tank. And no I did not re-use the 2010 crank, got a rebuilt from CV Tech with 1 yr warranty.

Premium Features