• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 800 Dragon kills at 100 Degrees

M
Feb 26, 2018
Ok, I've gotten this far, as seen in other posts you may have read that I have another Dragon I can take parts from (bought it with a blown engine but have now decided against repairing it). I have a RK Tek head, pistons, and a SLP Pipe. The last time I rode the sled I installed a power commander 5 and I rode about 20 minutes then the snowmobile went into kinda like a limp mode. I was close to home so I limped it home. So far I have taken the Power Commander off, changed out the head back to stock, changed out the voltage regulator, coils, ECU, even replaced the stator and timing triggers. About the only part I haven't tried is the temp sensor. I've added a extra ground. Now I should state that I do not know the condition of the parts I used to replace but I would assume they were good being that the engine was blown. The snowmobile was running good up until this problem.

The snowmobile will start up and run good until it reaches 100 degrees then it shuts off by it self. It will start back up but then it runs as if in limp mode. Let the snowmobile cool down, and it will act normal until 100 degrees again.

I was throwing parts at it just to get through the season and hoping that something would work. Obviously this didn't work. Now that all our snow is gone here in west central Minnesota I am now in "fix it before I put it away" mode. Now that I have the time, I actually want to stop throwing parts at it and actually try to figure out the problem properly.

Has anyone ever seen a problem like this? What would you try? As of yet I haven't taken it to a dealer (they are a hour away, closest). Any suggestions would be helpful.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
First thing I would have done is check the wiring to the temp sensor and change out the temp sensor since that's what tells the ecm what temp the motor is operating at.

M
Feb 26, 2018
Update: it turns out the TPS sensor was bad. I had another sensor so I replaced the sensor, I also made a “sensor tester” using this site. I dialed it in and the sled runs as it should.

Premium Features