• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Wyoming DIY Archery Elk Hunt

M
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
First off i want to thank everyone who helped and sent pm's.

Me and my cousin left friday at noon, arrived at about 3 in the morning slept for two hours, and then the hunt was on! Our first morning was somewhat of a bust for me (I saw 3 other hunters and never heard a buggle) but my cousin passed on a 300" six point at 50 yards. That night we switched areas and we were in the action fast and furious. Talked to a guy from sheridan that night that told me where he had been chasing a "giant" 6x7 for most the hunt but couldn't get on him (if anyone knows this guy, please let him know its dead so he doesn't waste time chasing it this weekend)... He shouldn't of told me that, haha as that night me and my cousin went after him and after a 55 yard shoot my cousin had an awesome 330" class 6x7. Next day was spent packing out the bull in 3 inches of snow which sucked. The next day i got skunked and only saw small 6's and rag horns. The next morning i decided to hunt some low country. I parked at an old closed road and started walking, after about a mile i heard a faint buggle above me in the junipers. I hiked up to the ridge, dropped off the back side, and hiked up the canyon to about where i thought the bull was. Once i got to where i thought he was, i crept up and looked back over the ridge to see my bull 53 yards straight below me. I put my 45 yard pin (because elevation) high and behind the shoulder, it hit perfect, angled down and took out both lungs. Spent rest of the day packing out and relaxing. Fun Fun hunt and i think we took about as big as bulls as the unit produces, we never saw any bigger and the fish cop said we killed by far the biggest bulls that have been killed up there this year, and they were "giants" for the unit.

My bull is the one in the sage and junipers, cousins is the one in the snow.

Thanks again to everyone for the pm's and tips about the unit

Wyo1.jpg Wyo3.jpg Wyo4.jpg wyo5.jpg

WYrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Gillette, WY
WOW! great bulls.

The old rode where you shot yours, was it the old highway road? Where it goes down to five springs?

R

RMKRAZY

Aug 5, 2001
UTAH
GREAT BULLS! Love those archery kills! Nice work!

I'm still trying to close the deal on a big UT buck with my bow this year. I have been close to him - but no dice yet!

Looking forward to a late season elk hunt in CO this year too!

Great pics - thanks for sharing the story!

M
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
don't let my post fool you! we worked hard for those bulls and it really was a tough hunt. Luck and hard work though and we were able get two awesome bulls. The majority of the hunters down there were getting their butt kicked, we never saw another dead elk in any of the dozens of camps we drove by, and every hunter we talked to was complaining how bad the hunt sucked...

Premium Features