• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 South Dakota Pheasant Hunt!!!

Now taking reservations for 2009 South Dakota Pheasant Season. I have been guiding for lodges for the past 5 years in South Dakota and am now offering hunts myself. This is not an all inclusive based hunt. It is a great pheasant hunt with no expensive extras. I do this on my own, i am not a commercial lodge. So if you would like to hunt pheasants the way the locals do, give me a call.

Rates:

$175.00/gun/day groups of 6 or more
$200.00/gun/day groups of 5 or less

Includes:
3 pheasants/day/person (state limit)
Field Transportation
Professional Guide w/experienced working dogs
100% Wild Pheasants
Beverages and snacks in field

Call for Details or to book: Alan 605-680-2785

You are responsible for meals and lodging.

season opens October 17th 2009

Last edited:
I

IdahoMike

Feb 3, 2006
Hailey, Idaho
South Dakota Bird Hunting

Are you hunting private or public ground?

Made the trip the last 2 years to SD and well worth the drive. We waterfowl hunt in the mornings and pheasant hunt in the afternoons. I hear your birds have taken a real pounding this winter. Any predictions for this fall?

DSC01656.jpg DSC02649.jpg

Are you hunting private or public ground?

Made the trip the last 2 years to SD and well worth the drive. We waterfowl hunt in the mornings and pheasant hunt in the afternoons. I hear your birds have taken a real pounding this winter. Any predictions for this fall?

All Private Ground, it's illegal to guide on public ground in SD. Our bird numbers in the area i am in are awesome, we have had a mild winter and good hatches last year. From the numbers i am seeing i am going to say the same or better than last year, which was a 15 year high. Hope to see you this fall.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Winter here has been mild with very little snow, bird population shouldn't be hurting at all by any means. Like he said the population is probably the same or higher(which equals birds everywhere). Come on out, you won't regret it.

Where do you typically hunt IdahoMike?

Last edited:
D
Nov 26, 2007
I live in the North Western part of South Dakota and we have had quite a bit of snow and I have not noticed any decrease in the numbers of birds. They have had a lot less snow down there. I can't believe they would have lost any birds.

I

IdahoMike

Feb 3, 2006
Hailey, Idaho
Winter here has been mild with very little snow, bird population shouldn't be hurting at all by any means. Like he said the population is probably the same or higher(which equals birds everywhere). Come on out, you won't regret it.

Where do you typically hunt IdahoMike?

The last 2 years I've gone just NE of Aberdeen. I had heard the winter up in the NE corner of the state had been brutal early part of winter.

South Dakota is a bird hunters paradise, hope to make the trip again this fall. I have a new GSP female who's chompin at the bit to go. Cocoa will be 1 year old in May and is a total "Bird Nut"!!

P7120005.jpg DSC02728.jpg

Good looking companions Mike, always liked GSP's. NE south dakota has had a rough winter but i'm not sure if it's hurting the population or not. I would love to have you out and show you a new part of the state. did you have a guide or were you on public ground?

The last 2 years I've gone just NE of Aberdeen. I had heard the winter up in the NE corner of the state had been brutal early part of winter.

South Dakota is a bird hunters paradise, hope to make the trip again this fall. I have a new GSP female who's chompin at the bit to go. Cocoa will be 1 year old in May and is a total "Bird Nut"!!

I

IdahoMike

Feb 3, 2006
Hailey, Idaho
Met some guys through the internet that invited me out to hunt. One of the guys married into a 5000+ acre farm with about 3000+ of it in crops, plus they know every other farmer in the county LOL!!

So yes, all of the huting I've done the last 2 years out there has been on private ground.

I

IdahoMike

Feb 3, 2006
Hailey, Idaho
200 a day? Are you licensed, insured? Seems spendy for a day per gun, but if the hunting is that good............you supply dogs too?

$200.00 guided hunt, per day per gun may seem like a lot, but trust me it's not. Most places will charge you $150.00 per day just to trespass and hunt (on your own) thier private land. Do some research and you'll see that his prices are in line for what he's offering. :beer;:beer;

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
I have lived in the area all my life. Its kind of funny to see the look on the face of an out of state hunter when 2500 WILD birds explode out of the end of a field.....they just stand there because they dont know which bird to shoot at. lol

D

Disco Dan Richter

Nov 27, 2007
Me no snow ta
www.grandgarages.com
Not doubting you, just checking, I am sure that you need a license to be an outfitter/guide, but may be wrong. I know in Montana for big game, you need a license and the outfitters I talked to say the same for small game guiding.
I may call you up on the hunt this fall.

CACSRX1- that reminds me of out of state sledders, bring them to a huge area and they are out of gas from hitting every damn single open area on the way in. "spare some gas bro?" LOL

I will never forget my first duck hunting trip to ND many years ago, stopped hunting ducks in MN after that, and never started again.
Havent tried in MT since I moved here either, dont think anything will top what I saw in ND.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
I am about 99.99% sure there is no small game "guide" licence in Sd. If there is, every farmer I know is in violation.

Every lodge i have guided for doesn't have one, and the rest of them that i know of don't have this so called liscense. I don't think SD has that sort of thing. All i need is a sales tax license as far as i know. Hope to see ya Dan, Book early if you want a prime date.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Anybody that hasnt been on a south dakota pheasant hunt is really missing out. I live by Aberdeen, SD which is an awesome place to pheasant hunt, and the winter hasnt been that brutal up here in the NE corner of the state, the snow is about gone now, we did have some pretty cold days, but it has been above zero most of the time and im still seeing a ton of pheasants.

I

IdahoMike

Feb 3, 2006
Hailey, Idaho
Anybody that hasnt been on a south dakota pheasant hunt is really missing out. I live by Aberdeen, SD which is an awesome place to pheasant hunt, and the winter hasnt been that brutal up here in the NE corner of the state, the snow is about gone now, we did have some pretty cold days, but it has been above zero most of the time and im still seeing a ton of pheasants.

Good to hear, thanks for the report :beer;:beer;

Premium Features