• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Assault will not go into reverse all the time

W
Dec 3, 2007
Casper, Wyoming
As stated, the machine will not go into reverse all the time. The engine rpm will drop but will not go to reverse.
I‘m sure that there is a thread about this but thought it would be easier just to post a new one. The sled is new to my son-in-law nd he is the one having the issue.

I told him to check the connections.
Amy help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Wax

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Check compression, that can be a sign of a failing motor. Also when the VR goes it can do strange things. Make SURE the part number on the VR is the LATEST part number off Polaris' online parts, otherwise when it goes bad it can take out all the engine electronics... should do that anyway even if the sled is running fine...
If this checks out, TPS setting being off can cause this. What is the idle running?

W
Dec 3, 2007
Casper, Wyoming
sledhed: Thank you for your reply I greatly appreciate it. He is going to check the items you pointed out. I do not know what the engine rpm was. They are on their way back from riding. Thank you again

W
Dec 3, 2007
Casper, Wyoming
So we got the machine into the garage and checked the compression. Both cylinders are 100 psi cold. When the machine is idling it seems to have a miss to it. Going to check the coils to see if the are causing an issue. We confirmed that the machine still will not go into reverse. Decided to put a new set of plugs in it. Installed new plugs, started the machine, the reverse worked to back it off the trailer. Went to go forward with the machine and it died. Started it back up and tried the reverse and it will not work again.

Have not checked the voltage regulator as of yet. Not sure where to go with this.

W
Dec 3, 2007
Casper, Wyoming
retiredpop: Thank you for the reply. We will check both of your suggestion. Not too sure as to how to test the TPS but we will figure something out. Thank you again

W
Dec 3, 2007
Casper, Wyoming
It appears at this time the engine is low on compression. We are going to take the top end apart and see what gives. Where would a person get a complete piston kit for the engine. We do want to install the “fix it” kit. Thank you for your time and reply.

Premium Features