• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 800 dragon 150 miles

J
Nov 5, 2013
UTAH
As said in the header, I'm buying this dragon with 150 miles it's a 2009 it was used to just go to and from a cabin. As far as I know its super clean and the price is great. I'm gonna go ahead and do a compression test before the purchase just in case, hoping for 120 per cylinder. Anyways if anyone has any suggestions on what kit to put in this machine or should I just ride it. I've heard so many things seems like the rk tek pistons are the ways to go. But would like some input. I really find it hard to beleive that this sled is such a monster to some. With 100 miles what could go wrong... but then again reading has got me nervous.

Again chime in if you have any advice thanks.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
I had an 09 assault. After the first season there was a top end update where they switched from two to one ring pistons or vice versa, on a recall. I traded mine At 2300 miles on a 13 pro. Only trouble I had was detonation once in a while and there was a reflash update that fixed that. I know many did have trouble with them, but mine ran good. It was my first brand new sled, kinda wish I still had it.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Lots and lots of stories about those sleds, mostly bad. Many failures well before 1000 miles, usually multiple failures. Probably the worst machine polaris ever sold, a nice follow up to the 900's...

My buddy just bought a 2010 800 Dragon with a turbo, a bunch of other aftermarket stuff and only 200 miles. It was a dealer build, dialed in an never sold. He paid them $5k for it, I think he is insane and we are going in on a tow rope for him for Christmas.

Good luck with yours. The 2010's did get an update to 2 rings and maybe some block refinements. Still a ticking bomb IMO.

If you want to beef up the motor call Indy Specialties. They fixed more of those motors than even Polaris I bet.

Premium Features