• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 dragon 800 cylinder inspection help

Jul 8, 2019
I recently bought a 08 dragon 800 that was blown up.needed top end.deglazed the cylinders with a three arm hone and this is what we got.there is no groves or any sort of pitting or chipping.just what looks like wear marks but they both are 85mm on top and 84.5-84.8 on bottom so I think there good.just dont know about this plating stuff.are these good to run as is or do I absolutely have to have them plated.thanks in advance I could really use a experts opinion.it looks like it's got bad scaring but it is smooth as butter in the bores

Last edited:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Since none of the poo guys will help I will kick in a bit
1: Rule of thumb if the line in the nicasil doesn't catch your thumb nail when going against it you can just run it. make sure all of the aluminum from the piston is removed from it.
2: Also you need to look at the tines ( cylinder skirts ) that seat into the lower case very close for cracks. This is one of the biggest problems this year motor has. They crack and break off and go threw the mill and all is lost.
3: if the motor when down already you need to find the cause BEFORE you run it again as not to have to do this again. The dragon has many problems and if you look in the poo sections you can find a lot of info.
My best advice is to sell it, part it, or invest in a good set of snowshoes. As repair cost start to get to close to the value of the sled.

Jul 8, 2019
Well I apriciate you giving me the advice and atleast now I know I can run these cylinders.for $500 I couldn't resist.I think maybe it ran lean or something because only the injector side of the cylinders got the rub marks but the pistons look like someone took a cheese grater down the sides of them.I'm going to order a "fix kit" top end for it.also going to check out more of the sites threads and find some more into about these lemons.hopefully make some good lemonade out of this thing.thanks again

Premium Features