• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 RMK 700 - Lost

I
Feb 14, 2018
Hello. I tried reading through the posts for these machines but I am not smart enough to link all of the information together in my brain. My apologies.
2006 RMK 700. Purchase last year with about 2000 miles. Ran well all winter. Would not start in the fall. Pulled PTO plug and it was fouled with coolant/oil.
Figured blown gasket and started to work on repair. Eventually pulled motor. Probably a quart of coolant/oil in crankcase under PTO jug. MAG crankcase side was dry. Cleaned crankcase. Replaced base gaskets, put jugs back on crankcase, set engine back in sled, attached injectors, fuel rail, and then attached engine to sled.
Noticed that tags came off injectors. A little worried that these were not put back in the correct order.
When replacing the cover (I did replace the O rings), the last bolt partially stripped when under full torque. Backed it out, added Loctite and a washer, and reinstalled but stopped when tight (hoping it would not leak once Loctite set – allowed to set for 24 hours).
Engine started and idled fine. Took out for a brief 2-3 minute rip and it would not go over 40 mph.
Brought back inside. No coolant leaks. No obvious issues. One plug (PTO) looked good. The MAG plug was grey. Left for a day.
Then I tested compression (120 both jugs). Also bled the oil pump (opened set screw until oil dripped out). Noticed that a Bosch knock tester was not re-connected. No idea where to install this, so I just zip-tied it to the frame.
Started machine again. Started on second pull. Idled perfect. Ran down road. Same issue. Once 40 mph engine would bog and lose power. Turned around and back in shop. No clue what to do next.

U
Feb 21, 2017
Saskatchewan
Mods please move post...Please post in proper forum

This is a forum for Polaris 900’s only.

#1 I think someone with more knowledge should be working on your snowmobile. Not trying to be an *** but it may save you money in the long run.

#2 just because there is no leaks outside your motor doesn’t mean there isn’t any inside.

#3 my guess is your head is warped but mainly you have to get that stripped bolt fixed.

Good luck

I
Feb 14, 2018
Response

Sorry for delay. My buddy and I just saw your reply. No offense taken. In fact, we both laughed like hell. Very funny. And I totally agree with you. Still laughing. Will look at another big and pull head and check for warp. Then to a shop. Thanks!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
The DET sensor (knock tester) bolts to the rear of the cylinder head, just below the small coolant line that goes to the water pump. It’s a PINA with motor in but doable. You can feel the threaded hole with ur finger. Literally dead center on rear Underneath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features