• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 MC 800 EFI - Important maintenance

C
Oct 31, 2014
Hi...I just picked up a used 800 EFI with around 2400 miles on it. It was originally a 144, but was changed to a 159 by the previous owner. Sled is in decent shape for being 10+ yrs old.

I'm quite new to AC sleds, so was hoping to get some pointers on what to address before the snow starts falling heavy here in the Cascades. The previous owner looks to have kept things pretty clean, but didn't seem like a lot of maintenance had been done recently.

Are there any critical items I should look over before putting this thing to use this winter? Starts up on 3rd or 4th pull from cold. Haven't run it long enough to see how it does when it's warm. Ovious items seem to be fine. Track is worn a bit, but looks pretty decent. Don't see any obvious stress cracking, or wear on anything.

Thanks.
D

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
Maintenance

check your hyfaxs or the wear strips between the track and the rails, replace if worn, not too expensive $20.00 or so. Look over the belts replace if have any cords pulled. With air blow out the clutches, and look at the rollers on the secondary for possible wear. coolant, oil, gas and go.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Check that clutch weights are running true.
Check driveshaft bearings.
Check chain tension and chaincase oil.
Grease everything, and make sure suspension bolts are all tight and holes on the rails are not egged out.
Check hyfax condition.
Check the bushings in the A-arms, they can get loose.
Check the exhaust valve adjustment. Also, rev it up on a stand and make sure the valves open when they should. The carbed models do a self-cleaning/diagnostic check every time you start the engine, but I don't believe the EFI ones do, so you have to rev it up to be sure.
Make sure the throttle is adjusted correctly, and the TSS (throttle safety switch) is working properly.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
Any new to me sled gets the clutches gone thru, new chain and check bearing on jack and drive shaft, check bearing in skid, check bushing in front control arms and bulkhead, check throttle and oil cable for frays, compression test and look at pistons and rings thru exhaust port( don't tell you much but makes me sleep better), sliders and skegs ect

Edit: treed on most info

C
Oct 31, 2014
Wow! Thanks, guys. Good list of items to look over.

I did read on another site that people have some issues with the bearings on the clutch side of the main drive shaft. I guess I can roll the sled over on the side and see if there is any play there to start.

Also something about replacing springs and bushings in the clutches every season.

I'm sort of new to all of this sled stuff, so a good learining experience for sure. Thanks.

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
also look for rust as they can be tight but are rusting out and are still bad. The lower bearings on the lower driven shaft they go out too.

B

Biglizard1

Feb 15, 2010
Baker City
saves a lot of heartache to replace those driven shaft bearings in the shop before the snow. it is a long drive back in on someone elses sled....and cheap. used to be link with the napa part numbers for less expensive bearings than the cat ones.

S
Dec 17, 2007
I haven't ridden in about 3 years, but one of the last rides I had was with Kidrman dragging my sorry butt out on the skids because I hadn't replaced the PTO side driven shaft bearing that season. Greased it all the time, but hadn't replaced it, which is what I'm doing tonight just in case maybe I go for a ride this year.

I highly recommend you replace that bearing before going out. The part number is Fafnir RA100RRB. A bit of a PITA, but not nearly as bad as tearing all the suspension, drive chain, shaft and sprockets, and the track out in the middle of a trail, then put the skid back in so your buddy can tow you out. Right John?

Premium Features