• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 Polaris Edge X 700

M
Dec 14, 2017
Minnesota
I have an 02 Edge X 700. I was having belt blowing issues and decided to send my primary in for a rebuild. Found out I had a cracked sheeve so had to scrap it. I bought a used primary from a guy that looked to be in good shape. He said it came out of a 99 XC 700 that had an 02 VES swap in it. The clutch itself is stamped with a 2005 date and has "914" below it. I can't seem to find any part # to confirm what this came off of. I'm about to send this in for a rebuild to ensure I'm good to go for the season. I have a Almond/Blue spring and 10-64 weights on the way for it. Will also replace the spring in the stock secondary with a Polaris Silver/Blue. Can anyone confirm what this clutch could have come off of? It has a silver spring but I'm not sure if that's a Polaris or aftermarket.

Will I have any issues with this clutch on my sled if I have it rebuilt and the belt clearance correct?

I appreciate any help I can get.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Many of the primaries have a cracked axle area that contacts the drive shaft, and it does not affect primary performance because the center bolt keeps the crack from opening up. You just use a C-clamp when removing the primary, in order to keep it from spreading. The primary has to be compatible with the exact same crankshaft as your edge. A 99XC is not an Edge and the PTO crankshaft end may not match your sled, making your entire investment wasted because you will never be able to sell it. 62 oz weights are standard, which you can buy yourself off of ebay and change them yourself. The weight axle bolts and wear rings inside of the weights, are what wears out first, which you can change yourself. No point in spending a lot of money on an Edge. The almond spring is stock for an 800 and is what I have. Blown belts may be because they are mounted backward so that you cannot read the printing on the belt, or because the secondary spacer washers do not allow enough slop in the sideways sliding of the secondary, in order to accommodate varying primary center of belt positions. Add grease to the secondary clutch axle in order to help it slide back and forth.

Premium Features