• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 Polaris Edge X 700 Primary Clutch

M
Dec 14, 2017
Minnesota
I have an 02 Edge X 700. I was having belt blowing issues and decided to send my primary in for a rebuild. Found out I had a cracked sheeve so had to scrap it. I bought a used primary from a guy that looked to be in good shape. He said it came out of a 99 XC 700 that had an 02 VES swap in it. The clutch itself is stamped with a 2005 date and has "914" below it. I can't seem to find any part # to confirm what this came off of. I'm about to send this in for a rebuild to ensure I'm good to go for the season. I have a Almond/Blue spring and 10-64 weights on the way for it. Will also replace the spring in the stock secondary with a Polaris Silver/Blue. Can anyone confirm what this clutch could have come off of? It has a silver spring but I'm not sure if that's a Polaris or aftermarket.

Will I have any issues with this clutch on my sled if I have it rebuilt and the belt clearance correct?

I appreciate any help I can get.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Cracked primaries still run just fine. You just have to make sure the center bolt is torqued. And when you pull it, you use a C-clamp to keep it from pulling apart at the crack. The critical items with primaries is the slop of the weight allowing them to bump into the main frame, which could cause it to explode. So you put in new weights with new liner bearings and you replace the bolts that hold the weights. And you are good to go. As far as a non-edge primary on an edge crankshaft, it may not be compatible and you better see if it fits by trying to install it, before you piss away a lot of money on maintenance that you could do yourself for pennies.

Premium Features