• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 RMK 800

S
Jan 15, 2010
I just picked up a 2001 RMK 800 with about 1400 miles on it. I have heard there are issues with the cranks on the 800's and wanted to get some feedback on if I should tear the engine down and update the crank and line bore the cases or just run it? The engine is a 800 Non-VES if that makes any difference between the 800 crank problems or not. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

S
Jan 15, 2010
BB454... thanks for your thought on checking the crank run out and just running the engine. Do you know if the non-ves 800's had the same issues with the crank and/or case-halves issues?

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
To my knowledge there was no real difference between the years of BB production, as far as crank issues. I have been told there was poor quality control on the cases, to the point that some bearings had no squish at all, some to much, basically all over the map. I believe that was why if you got a "good one" it would last and the next one, regardless of production year, would snap in 2 in very few miles. Anything over 0.002 runout and your rolling the dice, IMHO. Personally I love the old 800's, build them right and you have a great sled. Send the cylinders to Doug Ruth for his brand of magic, a set of SLP cheater heads and twin pipes and they are little monsters, you'll have a grin on your face all day long.

S
Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for your input Jay! What you mentioned is pretty much exactly what I heard as well regarding 800 Liberty BB's, some last forever and the one sitting right next to it has case issues and eats cranks. The sled currently has roughly 1,450 miles on it so I am at that magical mileage amount where some of the issues are more common. I am considering using this motor for a IQ project/back up sled and would like to make sure it is somewhat reliable when I go to use it. My first steps will be to check the run-out to see if she needs to be straighten. Thanks!

I. Agreee with all stated you might want to think about getting the lower case support 1200 psi makes one slp still has one. the case on the ves and non are the same. just make sure your clutch is balanced slp does a great job but the kicker on these is the pto crank seal test it make sure its good they have been an issue .

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
keep the clutches serviced/clean/aligned/good belt/all stock and just run it.
stay away from cheap belts and wacky clutching ideas.

R
Oct 7, 2009
washington
I have an 01 800 and it has almost 6000 miles on it. The crank went out at 5000, do to losing a bearing and i rode it hard. In a good rule of thumb only use synthetic and clean and check your clutches yearly to make sure there is no binding or worn parts to cause it to go out of balance. Its a good strong motor

S
Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for all the input regarding the 800 BB non VES engine! I did get a chance to check the crank and it is on the low end of the spec so it should be good to run for this year. Clutch is being sent out to be balanced which should help prolong the life of the engine some, cannot hurt!

I have an 01 800 and it has almost 6000 miles on it. The crank went out at 5000, do to losing a bearing and i rode it hard. In a good rule of thumb only use synthetic and clean and check your clutches yearly to make sure there is no binding or worn parts to cause it to go out of balance. Its a good strong motor

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Osborn performance had a real good point, either run an engine plate under the crankcases, tri city polaris or slp make them, or better still run a solid engine plate under it. PAR probably could make you one, or I'm sure they are available elsewhere, but what I have done in the past is get one from a '97 or '98 700 rmk, they drop right in and are plenty stiff, no more broken pto strap. :face-icon-small-ton There is one on ebay right now for $15 usd.

S
Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion jay regarding the engine plate. I have four or five those plates setting on the back shelf and will run one.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
x2 on SLP twin pipes, cheater heads, and don't forget their porting. I also did the motor plate and torque arm. Absolute beast of a motor. Never had a crank problem.

Premium Features