• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 rmk 800. Carb issues

P
Jan 9, 2014
Ok so I've posted a lot about this problem of a sled. Well here's the latest issue.
Ok. So I went to start it today. Went to give it a nice hearty pull. Well it would not pull. So I was concerned thinking it was seized. Well I pulled the plugs and tried giving it a pull. I swear I've never seen so much gas come out of cylinders like that before. It must have some sort of carb issue. Any ideas?

P
Jan 9, 2014
I just kept pullin until no more huge amount of gas came out. Then I put the plugs back in and it still seems way too hard to pull. I don't know what's causing this. Also gas is dripping out from where the header meets the pipe.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Your crankcase is full of gas, probably caused by a needle and seat assembly in one of the carbs stuck open for some reason, piece of crap stuck in the seat or something like that. There are 2 8mm brass plugs on the front of the bottom half of the crankcase directly under the exhaust ports, you should pull those out, I'm thinking you will be surprised at how much gas will run out. Pull the plugs, MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF THE IGNITION,(guys have had some ugly fires from a spark meeting excess gas) and pull it over a bunch of times, put brass plugs, spark plugs back in and you should be ok. Maybe check that your exhaust pipe isn't full of gas either. If the carbs are leaking gas externally check that you have the o rings in the float bowl plugs, Done that to many times.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Could also be your fuel pump has failed.

I had this problem on my XLT (like thousands of other people).

You left your gas valve on after you parked it last time.

Your needle is leaking.

Your cylinders, case and pipe are full of gasoline.

Shut the fuel valve off.
Hit kill switch and shut the key off.
Pull plugs.
Pull the pipe off and drain it.
Pull the brass case plugs.
Lay sled on it's left side.

Pull the rope until your hands bleed. Lol

Pull the carbs and take them into a shop.

Go inside and clean all the gas off you, throw your clothes in the wash. Be sure not to put other clothes with them. Don't light a match. Lol

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
^^^ Good point about just turning off the fuel valve when it's parked, saves alot of grief. rdr99 has a good point also, could easily be the pump has a hole in a diaphram.

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
Seen a frozen vent line cause a sled to die and not restart. Wonder if a plugged vent line would cause fuel to be pushed into the motor, if the sled was taken into a warm shop?

S
Mar 5, 2005
Boise, Id
Flooding

Many good ideas above, however while you have carbs apart pull the plastic seat assembly. As you remove the seat from the carb body you will notice a small o-ring which will have numerous cracks in it from being in a fuel environment for 13 years. Check it out, let me know.....

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Also, put a towel over the spark plug holes before you start pulling on the rope. Gasoline doesn't taste very well.

P
Jan 9, 2014
Well. Figured out there was a lot of water in the gas. I know exactly how it got there too. There's a gas station that has had trouble in the past with water being in their tanks. And that was the place where I filled up. Going to be taking action as soon as I get my sled back. They saved the gas for me too. All of this for water in the gas..

Premium Features