• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 stroke gear case/clutch oil

S
Nov 30, 2010
Sorry for a newb question, didn’t find much with a search. Never ridden a snowbike, but finishing up a build headed to Wyoming in a few weeks. I’m running my Beta 300, will probably have other questions coming but will try to keep them in separate threads. Feeling pretty good about my setup, but won’t drag this out any longer.

OK, I’ve always ran Bel-ray gear saver with no issues. My concern is it’s either 70 or 80 weight. Worried that might be too thick if the engine, especially the bottom end/gear case never gets hot. In my normal riding you can feel it even during the summer the first mile or so until the oil thins out and the clutch drag goes away. I don’t want a bike that won’t idle in gear/power loss because the gear case oil never “loosens” up. First hand experience and suggestions appreciated!
Thanks

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
Gear oil uses a different number system and if memory serves me right then the 80 90 is equivalent to a 10w40.
Personally I like to use a mix of 50/50 10w40 and ATF type f.
The ATF has really good clutch grab and is quite light. And since due to condensation you should be changing your gear oil after every ride so cheap is good.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I just use 10-50 or 10-40 I buy in 6 gallon boxes... cheap and easy... I change very 10 to 15 hours... the oil does not get super hot so it last for ever compared to summer for me...that's on 2 yz250s... after 100 hours clutch plates are great... I just change just because...

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
There are multiple rating systems for oil. Gear oil at 80w is the same as 30w engine oil. It's the same stuff essentially. I always ran atf type f in my race 2 strokes until I started running rekluses. They don't like the bite of atf. Now I either run Rotella 5w30 as it's cheap and works great. Or Honda 80w gear oil as I had a case of it. They pour about the same viscosity.

E
Dec 19, 2007
For me the bell ray is too thick even in summer. I use the clutch a lot on my 150 trail bike and gear saver is draggy with much less feel for the engagement point. My choice summer or winter is 5w20 or atf or a 50/50 mix.. The mix actually works best for my Ford ranger 5speed that's one that really works bad with gear oil. Synthetic doesn't hurt but isn't necessary. 2 strokes aren't picky just change it when it gets dirty or white.

R
Apr 18, 2016
Tractor hydraulic fluid, been on it for about 15 years in my 500’s. Not one bearing failure, clutches last forever and don’t fade, doesn’t come out all stinky, and it’s cheap.

Premium Features