• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2.7 vs 3"

Y

Y-not?

Aug 27, 2009
I've heard allot of talk of one or another but nobody really elaborates as to real world and why. I've been on a 3" since my 2016.5 and I cant complain I have been satisfied. I snowchecked a 22 Boost with the 163 3" and just wonder why some hate and some love.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The 3" does trench in soft snow and in set up snow it tends to hook up an push. The 2.6" and 2.75" have a little bit of slip that lets the rider spin the track to get on edge. I really think the 3" got most of its bad reputation due to the gearing/clutching combo it came with as it wouldn't spin as fast to initiate. With good clutching it works much better.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I have a series 7 3" on my 2016. It works great for my snow. No complaints, hooks up good and I haven't seen really any difference in trenching. I did however snow check a 2.75" series 8. The main reason was the pitch of the track. The 3.5" pitch will allow the track to be lighter without the penalty of less durable simply because there's less paddles with the bigger spacing. I really enjoyed the 3.5" pitch on the doo track. Hopefully they have improved the downsides of the drivers with the 6 tooth 3.5" pitch. Time will tell. If I need to get avids then so be it.

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Was having trouble deciding also between 3" and 2.75" when ordering my 22 khoas but after lots of research seems like the polaris 3" track doesnt perform as well as the other 3" tracks im coming from a cat 162 3 " and skidoo 850 3 " and those tracks seem to work really well in the deep stuff. But did ride a 21 khaos this season with the 2.75" and can tell the that the 3" on my other sleds did dig but also climbed further, but 2.75" seems to get on top of snow good and just felt light on the throttle probably more from the QD2 drive, but still impressed and its lighter so I snowchecked a 165 2.75" hopefully they have the issues figured out in 22 because there was some issues with the 21 2.75 tracks.

C
Nov 19, 2009
Was having trouble deciding also between 3" and 2.75" when ordering my 22 khoas but after lots of research seems like the polaris 3" track doesnt perform as well as the other 3" tracks im coming from a cat 162 3 " and skidoo 850 3 " and those tracks seem to work really well in the deep stuff. But did ride a 21 khaos this season with the 2.75" and can tell the that the 3" on my other sleds did dig but also climbed further, but 2.75" seems to get on top of snow good and just felt light on the throttle probably more from the QD2 drive, but still impressed and its lighter so I snowchecked a 165 2.75" hopefully they have the issues figured out in 22 because there was some issues with the 21 2.75 tracks.
3.5'' pitch tracks work best. polaris will make a 3'' 3.5'' pitch eventually

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC

Interesting article about the three tracks that polaris offers, seems like the 3" track now with the belt drive may be a whole lot better.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012

Interesting article about the three tracks that polaris offers, seems like the 3" track now with the belt drive may be a whole lot better.

That article addresses the 2021 tracks and set ups. Polaris apparently modified the 2.75 track and drivers for 2022.

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
On the surface, the real news appears to be the 2.75” by 3.5” pitch track, however, when riding these sleds, the belt drive 3” lug by 3” pitch track combination is just as significant a change. Until now, the 3” lug track has been too one-dimensional for our riding style (only performing exceptionally well in bottomless powder snow). After riding them, it was very evident that the 3” lug track works much better when combined with the belt drive than before. The difference was significant enough that we wondered if they had made some changes to the track itself. We were in deep powder and the sled would lift right onto the snow. The response was quicker making the sled more agile and playful than before. We attribute this mostly to the belt drive; however, this was on a 163” Khaos with the Walker Evans Velocity shocks and we know the Khaos platform helps with agility as well. On the mountain trails, this sled felt a bit slower in acceleration than the 2.6” lug track we are so familiar with and top speed is definitely harder to attain (Polaris recommends not running this track over 60 mph for maximum durability). We attribute this to the heavier weight and larger lug of the 3” track. We would position this track as the deep snow “go to” track. If your riding consists of mostly deep, light, fluffy snow, without a lot of trail miles to get to it, this is definitely the track for you. This track provides the most lift in deep powder snow conditions of all the tracks offered by Polaris. And now without the weight penalty of the chaincase this track combination has become a real weapon.

C
Nov 19, 2009
On the surface, the real news appears to be the 2.75” by 3.5” pitch track, however, when riding these sleds, the belt drive 3” lug by 3” pitch track combination is just as significant a change. Until now, the 3” lug track has been too one-dimensional for our riding style (only performing exceptionally well in bottomless powder snow). After riding them, it was very evident that the 3” lug track works much better when combined with the belt drive than before. The difference was significant enough that we wondered if they had made some changes to the track itself. We were in deep powder and the sled would lift right onto the snow. The response was quicker making the sled more agile and playful than before. We attribute this mostly to the belt drive; however, this was on a 163” Khaos with the Walker Evans Velocity shocks and we know the Khaos platform helps with agility as well. On the mountain trails, this sled felt a bit slower in acceleration than the 2.6” lug track we are so familiar with and top speed is definitely harder to attain (Polaris recommends not running this track over 60 mph for maximum durability). We attribute this to the heavier weight and larger lug of the 3” track. We would position this track as the deep snow “go to” track. If your riding consists of mostly deep, light, fluffy snow, without a lot of trail miles to get to it, this is definitely the track for you. This track provides the most lift in deep powder snow conditions of all the tracks offered by Polaris. And now without the weight penalty of the chaincase this track combination has become a real weapon.
i still believe a 3.5'' pitch 3'' on the boost would be the ticket at least for snow like revelstoke

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Or if your lucky deeper then revelstoke, ill have a 3.5 pitch 3" on my boost and a couple buddies will have the 2.7 or 3" on there's. See what works best

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I ordered the 3" on my khaos boost, I was just worried that the 2.75 won't be ironed out yet. The 3" is a pretty tuff track and the boost should have no prob spinning it.

wonderxc600

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
MN
So what I'm getting outta all this, is the 3" track, is a good track, but it got kinda watered down in the past, because it was still chain drive and not belt, it trenches more out of the gate, but in most cases it'll still out climb the 2.75, so the down fall is, it's heavier than the 2.7" and it's not a 3.5 pich, or are there other areas it affects the sled. I ride in the trees and open meadows.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Chassis, tunnel, and snow evac matters. Until this gets in the hands of the masses across all snow types, N/A and boost, 3" on the Matryx TBD. Same could be said for the 2.75. Neither appear to be moving backwards in capability.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Hasn't doo been running a 3" track for quite some time, and isnt' it the only option? As my buddy has a 17' doo, 850 165 track and his track is a 3", he seems to have no issues with a 3".

I was on doo's website and it looks like a 3" is the only option on a 165 track.

Just wondering what the difference is with the doo 3" track vs polaris 3".

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Hasn't doo been running a 3" track for quite some time, and isnt' it the only option? As my buddy has a 17' doo, 850 165 track and his track is a 3", he seems to have no issues with a 3".

I was on doo's website and it looks like a 3" is the only option on a 165 track.

Just wondering what the difference is with the doo 3" track vs polaris 3".
G4 3in has 3.5 pitch.

Sent it

Premium Features