• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2.5" vs 3" lug?

A
Feb 22, 2021
Alaska
I currently have a 2019 summit 850 with the 2.5" lug. Was thinking about switching to a 3" lug next season. Any pros and cons to help with decision-making?

C
Mar 15, 2018
I can not offer any actual advice but a couple things that I considered before ordering my '22 summit 165 2.5". I friend ran a 3" 165 on his '18 summit and threw several lugs and had to change it out. The reason is that he does not only ride the mountains, he also rides fields where he rips across the field at WOT and the track speed was too much for the 3". Since I also ride fields as well as the mountains and I don't want to be dealing with track failures, I leaned towards the 2.5". The other thing that I found interesting was that I watched a Chris Burandt video where he discussed HIS preference and IIRC, he said that HE prefers the 2.5" over the 3". IIRC, he said that the 3" trenches too much and that the 2.5 gets on top of the snow better. So, for me, It seemed that the 2.5 was better than the 3" for both riding the fields AND rising the mountains which is what I do. What will work best for you would depend on the type of riding you do I would think.

C
Mar 15, 2018
I found the video I was referring to. Bear in mind that he is talking Polaris tracks and you are talking Skidoo tracks so not exactly apples to apple but..........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrYVJARfZVw

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I can not offer any actual advice but a couple things that I considered before ordering my '22 summit 165 2.5". I friend ran a 3" 165 on his '18 summit and threw several lugs and had to change it out. The reason is that he does not only ride the mountains, he also rides fields where he rips across the field at WOT and the track speed was too much for the 3". Since I also ride fields as well as the mountains and I don't want to be dealing with track failures, I leaned towards the 2.5". The other thing that I found interesting was that I watched a Chris Burandt video where he discussed HIS preference and IIRC, he said that HE prefers the 2.5" over the 3". IIRC, he said that the 3" trenches too much and that the 2.5 gets on top of the snow better. So, for me, It seemed that the 2.5 was better than the 3" for both riding the fields AND rising the mountains which is what I do. What will work best for you would depend on the type of riding you do I would think.
first part is true, second part is not true on 165 as there is enough floatation that 3 inch is better, in the 154 is where you see the biggest difference in the 2.5 to 3 inch as the 2.5 is lighter so better track speed which helps it stay up instead of treching more with the 3 inch and if you have good skills and good throttle control the 3 inch is awesome in the 154 too, just different approaches. cheers dave

C
Mar 15, 2018
first part is true, second part is not true on 165 as there is enough floatation that 3 inch is better, in the 154 is where you see the biggest difference in the 2.5 to 3 inch as the 2.5 is lighter so better track speed which helps it stay up instead of treching more with the 3 inch and if you have good skills and good throttle control the 3 inch is awesome in the 154 too, just different approaches. cheers dave
You could be right. I was just sharing what Burandt says on the subject and IIRC, he DOES ride 155". I believe that Chris Burandt would qualify as one with "good skills and good throttle control".

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
The Gen4 Doo 3” track is outstanding in Fresh deep snow!
I’ve seen 2.5” tracks go nowhere in same deep conditions.
2.5” wins in mashed potatoes but the 3” still goes..
Trails Meh…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
You could be right. I was just sharing what Burandt says on the subject and IIRC, he DOES ride 155". I believe that Chris Burandt would qualify as one with "good skills and good throttle control".

Ya he’d still kill it on a 440 121!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A
Feb 22, 2021
Alaska
Thanks for the replies, definitely been helpful! Thinking the 154 3inch might be my go-to for the riding I do in Alaska (swamps, drainages, mountains) avoid the trails where I can haha.

Premium Features