• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2.4 track by 2.86 under an edge?

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
The question is will this track fit with 8 tooth 2.86 drivers without a drop and roll? The stock drivers are 2.52 by 9 tooth. I have been out of school way too long to do the math on those and try to figure the diameter of each without having them in front of me and using a tapemeasure:D.

What I am thinking of doing is putting a stock 163 2.4 d8 track under my edge that is currently a 159 2" with 2.52 pitch. I am not worried about the extra 4" of length, I should have that covered. I know I can buy 8 tooth 2.86's but have not seen any 7 tooth for an edge driveshaft. Has anyone done this?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
The question is will this track fit with 8 tooth 2.86 drivers without a drop and roll? The stock drivers are 2.52 by 9 tooth. I have been out of school way too long to do the math on those and try to figure the diameter of each without having them in front of me and using a tapemeasure:D.

What I am thinking of doing is putting a stock 163 2.4 d8 track under my edge that is currently a 159 2" with 2.52 pitch. I am not worried about the extra 4" of length, I should have that covered. I know I can buy 8 tooth 2.86's but have not seen any 7 tooth for an edge driveshaft. Has anyone done this?

me thinks we are going to be doing this...dont you?:D
just picked my sled up from getting the update...so hopefully in a few days your track is going to be laying on the floor....:face-icon-small-hap

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
me thinks we are going to be doing this...dont you?:D
just picked my sled up from getting the update...so hopefully in a few days your track is going to be laying on the floor....:face-icon-small-hap

I was too busy at work today to call and ask Curt. Thought I would try here and see if anyone has done this or atleast knows what the diameter of the 2 drivers are. Tommorrow doesn't look good either since we are short handed again. Weatherman says no snow anytime soon anyway so I quess there is no rush. :mad:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I dont know of any 7 tooth 2.86 pitch drivers...

I think it will be tight in there for a 2.4" lug... even though you have less teeth, the pitch is larger and the driver is a bit larger.

2.86" x 8 teeth = 22.8" circumference (this is stock on the RAW RMK)
3" x 8 teeth = 24" circumference
3" x 7 teeth = 21" circumference

2.52" pitch x 9 tooth.... 7.22" diameter ... 3.61" radius
2.86" pitch x 8 tooth.... 7.25" diameter ... 3.625" radius
3" pitch x 8 tooth.... 7.64" diameter ... 3.82" radius
3" pitch x 7 tooth.... 6.68" diameter ... 3.34" radius

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Also... it is not weather or not you can "fit" it in...

It is having good clearance, at least 1/2 + all around to make it work well and not make a big drag on your sled...

The track that is in there is pretty phenominal in all but the deepest, dry fluff.

The 5.1 will give you less controll on downhills, IMO.

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Hate to be a party pooper but with an 8 tooth 2.86 pitch axle, a 2.4" track won't fit in a stock edge. A 9 tooth 2.52 pitch axle diameter is typically around 7.06 to maybe 7.1, at least that's how they are from the factory. If you go to a u-cooler and take out the center cooler, you can make the 8 tooth 2.86 with the 2.4 work. I think sled_guy did that to his buggy. Please note that the Edge tunnel is way wider than the IQ so the IQ axle is not a drop-in. There might be an older Pro X tubular shaft that the drivers can be pressed on to.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I put the 2.52 pitch 2.4 under my Edges. I roll the chaincase to get enough clearance. Some I replace the cooler, but on a couple I have left the front cooler in and with the drop (5/8" Holz) the track fits nicely with sufficient clearance.

I don't know about the bigger pitch tracks.

sled_guy

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I dont know of any 7 tooth 2.86 pitch drivers...

I think it will be tight in there for a 2.4" lug... even though you have less teeth, the pitch is larger and the driver is a bit larger.

Thank you MH for doing the math. Since I posted this question, I came across a killer deal on a 2.5 camo extreme in a 3.0 pitch. With the driver dims you put up, I should be ok with the 7 tooth 3.0 drivers and the 2.5... I would love to do the drop and roll as well, but just isn't going to happen this year.
Thanks guys

Premium Features