• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2.4 to a 3” Will it work?

N
Nov 25, 2019
Hey all. I’m looking to upgrade my track on my dragon to a larger lug. I want to know if a three inch track will have enough clearance with the front heat exchanger or will it hit? I know the pitch is different but I want to know if there is enough clearance.

thanks

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Hey all. I’m looking to upgrade my track on my dragon to a larger lug. I want to know if a three inch track will have enough clearance with the front heat exchanger or will it hit? I know the pitch is different but I want to know if there is enough clearance.

thanks

It will fit with an extended chaincase.

Otherwise 2.8” track will fit with 7 tooth 3.0” pitch drivers.

Epic 280?
Conquer 280?
X2.7?

Plenty of options that will all outperform the 2.4.

Best cheapest option would be a polaris 2.6 track.
Fully clip it.

Run it without even changing Drivers.

N
Nov 25, 2019
It will fit with an extended chaincase.

Otherwise 2.8” track will fit with 7 tooth 3.0” pitch drivers.

Epic 280?
Conquer 280?
X2.7?

Plenty of options that will all outperform the 2.4.

Best cheapest option would be a polaris 2.6 track.
Fully clip it.

Run it without even changing Drivers.

If I got the 7 tooth 3" pitch avid drivers would the Conquer 280 clear everything? It won't hit the heat exchanger or any bolts that are in the tunnel itself? Also, the Camso website says that there are clips every second window, so would I have to fully clip it or would I just have to fully clip the 2.6.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
If I got the 7 tooth 3" pitch avid drivers would the Conquer 280 clear everything? It won't hit the heat exchanger or any bolts that are in the tunnel itself? Also, the Camso website says that there are clips every second window, so would I have to fully clip it or would I just have to fully clip the 2.6.

Yep the 280 will fit on 7 tooth drivers.

The only reason to fully clip the 2.6 is for reliability. Polaris 2.6 floats very well.

(About the same reliability between the conquer 280 and Polaris 2.6). Not very good.

Conquer 280 is a trencher

The x2.7 has excellent reliability and floats great.

The epic 280 is new so reliability testing is limited.

N
Nov 25, 2019
Yep the 280 will fit on 7 tooth drivers.

The only reason to fully clip the 2.6 is for reliability. Polaris 2.6 floats very well.

(About the same reliability between the conquer 280 and Polaris 2.6). Not very good.

Conquer 280 is a trencher

The x2.7 has excellent reliability and floats great.

The epic 280 is new so reliability testing is limited.

I really like the 2.7 but the only problem is is that I can't get in in a 156 or a 154 length. The only tracks I've found are 163's.

I was thinking of doing a 2.6 because I don't have to do any modifications I just have to take off the 2.4 and put back on the clipped 2.6.

Also, when I was riding my sled today it seemed to have trouble idleing but ran fine when I gave it some gas, but at an idle it would flicker the lights and dash and then sputter out and die, but would fire right back up first pull. Do you have any idea what this might be? I was thinking the TPS but wasn't sure.

Thank you for all your help

N
Nov 25, 2019
I was looking at other 2.6 tracks and I found the Composite M67-3R (2.62″). Would this work? It's the same pitch and everything but I can't find anything online about reliability.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I really like the 2.7 but the only problem is is that I can't get in in a 156 or a 154 length. The only tracks I've found are 163's.

I was thinking of doing a 2.6 because I don't have to do any modifications I just have to take off the 2.4 and put back on the clipped 2.6.

Also, when I was riding my sled today it seemed to have trouble idleing but ran fine when I gave it some gas, but at an idle it would flicker the lights and dash and then sputter out and die, but would fire right back up first pull. Do you have any idea what this might be? I was thinking the TPS but wasn't sure.

Thank you for all your help

The x2.7 is just a cut down x3.

Easy to do with a utility knife.

Run ability issues on a dragon usually means it’s time for a top end.
(Do a leak down test)

TPS Being off is a common issue also but if it ran fine before, usually the TPS doesn’t just “go out” of adjustment.

I’ve rebuilt about 7 dragon motors from 300 to 1400 miles on them.

All had issues idling and wouldn’t go into reverse.

N
Nov 25, 2019
Ah man I just did a top end last winter. I’ll do a compression test to see if it needs one. Is a leak down test the same or what test is that? I’m kinda new to the engine stuff.

N
Nov 25, 2019
If the top end was going bad wouldn’t it run bad all the time? When I blew the last top end I could Definitely Tell that it was blown because of bogging and running on one cylinder

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Leakdown test is different than a compression test.
U will need a leakdown test tool, an air compressor and something to hold the primary clutch. A long pry bar will work just be careful.

Sent it

N
Nov 25, 2019
What else could I use to hold the primary clutch in place? Would the leak down test tell me if I need the new top end? Are there measurements online for what values the gauges should have? I apologize for asking all these questions but like I said I'm new to engine stuff and don't really want to take it to the dealer to see if it needs a new top end. The last time I took it to the dealer it came back flashing a new code

N
Nov 25, 2019
I've been doing some research and it says that a compression test is better for a 2 stroke motor than a leak down test. What do you guys think? Which is better for testing to see if I need the new top end?

N
Nov 25, 2019
Would there be any other reason for not idleing? It runs great when I give it a little tiny bit of gas it idles great, but when I just let all the way off the throttle it sputters, kills lights, and dies.

N
Nov 25, 2019
I did both the leak down test which showed 96% and also a compression test and I had 126 psi in one cylinder and 124 psi in the other. If it still doesn't idle, would that be the TPS or another problem? I've read that it could be the reeds?

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I did both the leak down test which showed 96% and also a compression test and I had 126 psi in one cylinder and 124 psi in the other. If it still doesn't idle, would that be the TPS or another problem? I've read that it could be the reeds?

Probably worth checking both.

Sounds like it’s healthy.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Compression test is a complete waste of time. By the time the compression is down, you will already know. There are lots of example on SW of bad pistons showing good compression. Leak down is the only reliable way to check ring and piston condition.

As a side note, this thread was helpful! My buddy just bought a 2010 Dragon 800 turbo, against my advice, and I suspect it will benefit from a taller lug track. Looks like the Poo 2.6 fits, and it worked great on my Axys. Looking for a used one now.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
You have been given good advice from SMF however, Among worn pistons and rings and TPS and wiring, I would also add low idle on a dragon could also be voltage regulator (which will take out the ECU if not caught quickly) delaminated throttle body boot and/or dirty throttle bodies.

Premium Features