• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1999 RMK 700 Sagging rear Suspension

J
Nov 19, 2019
Trying to figure out a suspension problem on my '99 RMK 700. I noticed last winter that the rear of the skid was fully squatted at times, either under load or not, essentially it would not return to full extension. I have the skid out this summer and noticed the rear torsion springs had come out of their spring rollers and dropped onto my scratcher posts. When I moved the spring ends back onto the rollers where they are designed to go, they quickly snapped back out of their tracks when any load is applied to the suspension. Also, I noted that the spring rollers they seat into are worn completely through to the metal post underneath. My question is this, would that cause the spring to slide off the roller? Or did the previous owner replace the springs with the wrong springs at some point and they are too short? Unfortunately Polaris has discontinued the spring roller, so I'm planning to replace them with a set of spring guides from a newer RMK. Any help is appreciated!

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Your sled should have the square torsion springs. They should extend past the spring rollers quite a bit. Are yours falling off because they are too short or coming off the sides? Are the outside lip of the spring rollers broken off? I have had them wear through on the surface where the springs rub but the springs always stayed put. Are the spring adjusting blocks that the short end of the torsion spring rest in missing or damaged? (part 14 on rear torque arm parts diagram)
Same thing about the sleeve (part 20) where the springs mount.
These guys show they have them in stock if their inventory is up to date. Partzilla
If for some reason they don't have them I have successfully filled in the worn down area with JB Weld and it held up really well.

Last edited:
J
Nov 19, 2019
retiredpop, thanks for your response! The springs did not extend past the rollers when the suspension was sitting at full height, they sat right at the front of the rollers. The outside lip of the spring roller was not worn, the plastic was worn through underneath where the spring rested as you guessed. Spring adjusting blocks are intact and present. Not certain on the sleeve (part 20), but nothing appears out of order in that area. I looked through some later model parts and found Polaris Spring Guides # 5434334, these are a post with a pin that holds the spring in place (I think they became standard in 2009). Made a gamble and they worked perfectly, the springs stick all the way through the guide now, not sure why they didn't before. My suspension is still saggy, at least the springs are staying in the right spot now. Thinking perhaps the springs may be tired. The rear shock seems to work well when pressed upon, and my assumption was the springs are what should move the suspension to full height?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Yes, the springs are what lift the suspension. The shock is only for dampening and has no effect on ride height. On our 99s I put in the heavier springs because they wanted to be low riders some of the time. No problem after that.

Premium Features