• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1993 Ford F350 help needed

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Looking for a Ford technician and/or guru to help with speedometer problem. Truck is a SRW 4x4 "XL" Standard Cab 5.8 liter gas engine w/ 5-speed manual and 4:10 axle gears.

A couple winters ago, we had a cold snap with below zero weather for a few days. Ended up stuck in the ditch, spun the tires trying to get out. Speedometer stopped working and hasn't worked since. Tried finding a drive cable to transmission tailshaft, figuring there must just be a plastic drive gear on the cable broke. My other gauges for battery, temp, etc. still work. My Chilton manual in one spot illustrates a cable and in the text says my particular model has a speedometer sensor. I didn't want to start yanking on wires on the tranny when I was't sure what to look for.

I have draw in the system somewhere drawing the battery down. I have had to replace the battery twice now, once before this happened and once after and since I didn't drive the truck this last winter due to health issues the current battery got killed again. I also have an issue with the float level sender on one tank of the dual fuel tanks either showing empty all the time or "floating" between empty and about 3/4 full. These are things I'm needing to address as well, but I wanted to start with the speedometer if it was something I could do myself.

If it makes a difference this is a Canadian-built model from the Ontario factory, I've already run into the serpentine fan belt being different than what is shown for my particular GVW in the American versions.

I want to be able to get this running and fixed up, it hasn't been driven hardly at all the last few years because of the price of gas and my family out grew it. My biggest hurdle is trying to convince Momma to let me keep it and have it be my daily driver again :ballchain: :pout:

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!!

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
As I remember the speed sensor is located on the rear diff housing. To find the draw hook an amp meter in series ( remove neg cable and put meter between cable and battery) make sure everything is powered off and start pulling fuses. The draw will go away when you hit the right circuit.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Not sure if you reached resolution here but yes there is a vehicle speed sensor on the top of the rear diff, it is 2 wires and picks up frequency off the tone ring in the carrier. It might be wise to pull the diff cover for an oil change and inspection of the tone ring and general diff condition. I would also recommend going to the FordTruckEnthusiasts forum section for 87-96' trucks. It's a very active, and helpful forum with some very knowledgeable people ready to help out.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Thanks for the information, fellas! I did locate the sensor on the axle but haven't been able to investigate further. I've been unemployed for a couple three months due to some health issues for me and my wife (long story) so I've not been able to puchase another battery as of yet. I had to have the front brakes worked on last fall and the Les Schwab Tires that did it checked the rear brakes and replaced the rear axle seals that were just starting to weep on one side. I don't know the condition of the sensor ring in the diff since I don't know if they opened the diff or not. I will post further as I have a couple simple things to check (blown fuse, broken connnector/wire/sensor) first. When I get a new battery I can diagnose further. Thanks again!

Premium Features