• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1930s Panoramic Photos

A
Jan 13, 2012
Central Washington
I noticed a photo by 89sandman of Mt. Thielsen and Cinnamon Butte in the Oregon photos thread. It caught my attention because my wife was the lookout on Cinnamon about 20 years ago. I thought these panoramic photos might be of interest to people that have snowmobiled in that area. These were taken from Cinnamon Butte Lookout in 1936.

attachment.php

Original Cinnamon North.jpg Original Cinnamon SE.jpg Original Cinnamon SW.jpg

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Cool pics, last time I was up at the Cinnamon lookout was about 10 years ago. Heck of a view from up there :) Do you know what year they made the two cuts past the lookout? With the high elevation the growing season up there is very short. We actually rode up there once on sleds around 2003. The greenies were waiting for us when we got back at the bottom and said not to go up there again, even though the road is not out of bounds. Now there is a sign at the new parking lot that says for skier use only during winter months :(

A
Jan 13, 2012
Central Washington
Cool pics, last time I was up at the Cinnamon lookout was about 10 years ago. Heck of a view from up there :) Do you know what year they made the two cuts past the lookout? With the high elevation the growing season up there is very short. We actually rode up there once on sleds around 2003. The greenies were waiting for us when we got back at the bottom and said not to go up there again, even though the road is not out of bounds. Now there is a sign at the new parking lot that says for skier use only during winter months :(

The road up to Witts End would have been built to log those areas. Looking at some old maps; In 1958 there is just a dashed line ending at the Lookout. I assume its a trail or maybe a jeep road. In 1978 there's a road up to Witts End. In 1985 the road has been extended to the north past Witts End to where I can see an old clearcut on some photos from 2000. So, educated guess the logging took place around the late 70s to early 80s.

When we lived down there we snowmobiled a few times in the area and wanted to ride up that road but never did. I can't remember why, if it was closed to snowmobiles or not. Yes, heck of a view. Here's a shot from the office.

383-MtThielsenFromKitchen@Cinnamon-July2002.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features