• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

18 Mtn Cat 153 Overheating issues

Duzzi

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2013
Hi,

I have a 153 mtn cat with elevate kit, tki belt drive, hps can and snow flap delete. 1600 miles

I've noticed lately going down the trail even with 6inches of powder its running 150+ with light going off.
Dodging into powder off trail and back to road doesn't help. I have to be in deep powder for some time for the temperature to drop.

I have heard it could either be thermostat, water pump impeller, thermal sensor or possible air bubble in system. I would think the air bubble could be worked out by now if that was an issue.

Looking at Evans Waterless Coolant as an option.

www.evanscoolant.com

Any input from experience is appreciated!

18kitty.jpg

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Sounds like you're on the right track. Easiest to check is air bubble and flap. Elevate the front of the sled and start it with the cap off, higher the better and then top off the coolant. Then find a chunk of flap and put it on. Are you running scratchers? I have also seen at least one 18 that needed a new impeller.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i've had the same problem....i've found it's critical to keep the coolant topped off, and i mean topped off....there's a water bleed from the top of the engine that goes to the top of the coolant bottle, and on mine and friends sled that were having issues with the heat, if the coolant wasn't almost to the neck of the bottle, we would get the flashing overheat light...being diligent about keeping the coolant bottle full alleviated the problem..hope this helps

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
You may have to put the snow flap back on for the type of riding/snow conditions that you have. Some guys can get away without having one, that being said there's no way I can. Depending on snow conditions and mainly on the trail ride in, mine will run hotter if the flap is bent back or if I set the ride height higher and it doesn't defect enough of the roost back on to the track.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
snow flap delete

I've noticed lately going down the trail even with 6inches of powder its running 150+ with light going off.

gotta be a coincidence

probably

maybe

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Hi,

I have a 153 mtn cat with elevate kit, tki belt drive, hps can and snow flap delete. 1600 miles

Dodging into powder off trail and back to road doesn't help. I have to be in deep powder for some time for the temperature to drop.

I have heard it could either be thermostat, water pump impeller, thermal sensor or possible air bubble in system. I would think the air bubble could be worked out by now if that was an issue.

Looking at Evans Waterless Coolant as an option.

www.evanscoolant.com

Any input from experience is appreciated!

To me it sounds like a mechanical problem either the t stat or water pump, if everything is working good that engine should cool down quick when you hit fresh snow. While the snow flap may help it sounds like this just started happening. Unless you have had the coolant out and refilled lately an air bubble would have caused issues long ago. Are you running scratchers?

rev09

Premium Member
Feb 28, 2011
I’ve never run with flap. I only use scratchers if bad cooling. But... this winter I got big problems with cooling. Observed higher temperatures both in powder and trail, I tought it was because of turbo , so I removed turbo.

Problem still there. then I checked thermostat. It was stuck.

now all good.

1D1E66E3-2597-4144-ABE4-01E0FF8B86AC.jpeg

F
Nov 30, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I’ve never run with flap. I only use scratchers if bad cooling. But... this winter I got big problems with cooling. Observed higher temperatures both in powder and trail, I tought it was because of turbo , so I removed turbo.

Problem still there. then I checked thermostat. It was stuck.

now all good.
I had a bad thermostat with one of mine. There was another in the shop with the same problem when I stopped in. The thermostat is a two stage unit. Maybe someone can give the specifics on the exact temp the two stages open?
I also had a failed water pump impeller on another sled. It basically stripped the impeller guts on the shaft. The impeller must have had enough friction to run a little. It cooled some, but temps climbed fast when they went up.

Duzzi

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2013
Check your thermostat, seen a lot of them go bad. Put in the 20+ cooler thermostat
Did T stat, coolant, temp sensor, impeller, made sure no bubbles were in system. Which model # for T stat? is that after market T stat?

Premium Features