• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

18’ front end setup help

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Hey all,
I picked up an 18’ MC 153” and got my first ride in on it. Loved the engine, sidehilling, and climbing capabilities, but the front just seemed wayyyy to hard to move around. Anyone else feel this and have some advice on front shock setup and????? Thanks!
76D119DB-4709-465A-85F7-8186F3E8C691.png

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
Riding my fathers mountain cat I had the fronts at 65 psi and on clicker 2, I found it pretty easy to throw around .

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The front track shock will make a significant difference in maneuverability.
Add some air till it feels as playful as u like.

Sent it

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
The skis are set on the middle position, I’ll try them out in the narrowest position.
Interesting comment about the front rear shock, I can actually see how that might help ? Thanks, I’ll try it.

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Another issue is I wish I could get the post about 1-3" further forward. Reason being is I'm 6ft5" 225, and the backward slope just cramps me up too much in the cockpit, also I need to raise my bars, and hate having the risers not in line with the post, makes for an "ugly" steering feel......

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Another issue is I wish I could get the post about 1-3" further forward. Reason being is I'm 6ft5" 225, and the backward slope just cramps me up too much in the cockpit, also I need to raise my bars, and hate having the risers not in line with the post, makes for an "ugly" steering feel......
Mike,
Steering will always feel heavier than a Doo but maneuverability will be lighter with 65-80psi in the front track shock.
Ur weight, u probably want 150-160psi in the rear track shock.
Skis, 60psi is a good start.

With the sled on a level surface (concrete shop floor) adjust the steering riser to 90° or use a level. That will give u at least 2in, that makes a huge difference. I did not notice any negative effects in steering.

Welcome to the great world of Cat....

Sent it

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
you wont want to believe it but the stock 16-18 skis are garbage for anything but late spring riding imo. the keel is just so dang deep (heavy, catchy steering) and the rest of the botom is flat so they slip off of things on edge in the techy stuff. even skidoo skis are better. grippers or SLP skis will solve a lot of the mishandling. was gonna suggest inch taller riser too but thats preferance. youre a big dude on a 153, if you climb a lot you might wanna stay lowwer/more over front? especially if you pump that FTS up to remedy those grabby-ass skis lol.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
you wont want to believe it but the stock 16-18 skis are garbage for anything but late spring riding imo. the keel is just so dang deep (heavy, catchy steering) and the rest of the botom is flat so they slip off of things on edge in the techy stuff. even skidoo skis are better. grippers or SLP skis will solve a lot of the mishandling. was gonna suggest inch taller riser too but thats preferance. youre a big dude on a 153, if you climb a lot you might wanna stay lowwer/more over front? especially if you pump that FTS up to remedy those grabby-ass skis lol.
The Cat 2019+ Proclimb 7 G2 ski bottoms are a great improvement for about $80 each + the mounting hardware.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I am 6'4 and my son is 6'5 we both run the cat 7.5 inch riser and love it.

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
Thanks for all the feedback guys/gals!! I got a shock pump ordered up, so excited to try the sled again with your recommended shock settings! I appreciate y’all!

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Guy coming from skidoo doesn't like the backward angle of the cat steering post?

I'm confusedededed.

The bar bend on the cats is a little much IMO. You can move the stem a little more angled forward without putting your hands in front of the T-post because of that bend.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
I had not really thought about it 'till now reading these posts, but at only 5' 7" tall, I had always felt cramped trying to stay forward on my '17 Mountain Cat & had considered changing the riser height/angle or a post forward kit. Now with the IceAge Elevate kit installed, I am more comfortable staying back a bit on the boards (with the factory riser) like my older M8, & on the Ascender chassis feel more in control with just foot pressure to steer in the neutral position!

L
Nov 25, 2018
I'm also tall, 6'7" and about 250 w/out gear. I had my shocks revalved by a guy in Idaho (Gas Shock Repair) and it made a good difference.

PSI I run:
Front shock - 65
FTS - 60
Rear - currently 180 - I'm still playing around with this one. It always feels like it bottoms out on whooped out trails even when I had it at 145-160 but rides well in powder at either setting, and still has that bottom out feel on trails into the powder.

As for the steering height. I ordered the adjustable PowerMadd riser and really like it.

Premium Features