• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 Mountain Cat overheats w/o scratchers

mtncrawler

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2010
Breckenridge, Co
My 17 m8000 can not be run on the groomed trail without scratchers down. Even 10 degrees and 2" fresh I overheat light flashes in short order without scratchers down. A friends identical sled is the same. 2017 M8000 162x3" tracks. Do we have to live with this or is there a solution that doesn't break the bank? Colorado high 11000' should be plenty cold for cooling, how do you other guys deal with this?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
1. ride fresh snow
2. use scratchers

Pick one

Those 3" tracks don't cool on hard snow without constantly spinning it.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
scratches down on the trail is kinda the rule on these 3" sleds. 2" fresh I would still run scratches down on way up the roads in the morning. takes 3" fresh before sliders are contacting the snow. make sure coolant is full.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
You answered your own question, put the scratchers down on ANY trails

toesmack

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2008
Reno, NV
Have a 17MC 163 with the same issues. Only it has a 950 kit in it, so probably even worse. Removed the thermostat and drilled 8 - 3/16" diameter holes around the outer flange to increase coolant flow. Took a chance, but it paid off. Still running scratchers, but that is common in Calif. riding. Using the spring steel scratchers with the flip toggle. Had the cable type, they were a waste of time and money. Pure junk. Running only 50/50 mix coolant instead of our normal 70/30. The 50% coolant mix actually transfers heat better. Also added Water Wetter. All together saw a huge difference. No more uncontrolled overheating. Thermostat is conveniently located at the bottom of the block behind the drive clutch. I mean, what a silly idea to keep it up on top of the head where it has been for many years. After all, who would want that to be a 5 minute job?

Premium Features