• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 mountain cat overheats constantly

mtncrawler

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2010
Breckenridge, Co
My 17 m8000 flashes the overheat light way often. Any trail riding even at 10 degrees and 2" of fresh and falling snow on the trail I have to have the scratchers down. Most of the time one scratcher isn't enough I need both down. My buddies identical sled acts exactly the same. Like most of us the trail riding is just to get to the goods but this is a real pain in the butt. Both these m8000's have 162 x 3" tracks. Riding in Colorado above 10,000' with pretty soft snow. Is everybody else having this problem? Is this something I just have to live with or has somebody come up with an easy solution?

R
First of all, a 162 is not a trail sled, and secondly with a 3 inch track, you will ride more on top of the snow, not in the snow IF the snow is hard pack. I am pretty sure . your scrathers won't make enough snow to lubricate the sliders and land on the coolers.
Check and make sure you are up to level with coolant, then make sure you do not have a bubble in the coolers.
Why would you ride with just one scratcher down?? There is a reason, you have 2.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
2014(2013 limited) and newer m8000's need the scratchers down on all trail rides

Sent it

B
Have the same sled sometimes I will remove the side panels and and strap to tunnel for the ride in. Just make sure your not filling you clutches with snow. But if there's that much snow you shouldn't be overheating. Make sure coolant is plum full not just to line. Rode in the last two days in a couple inches of fresh on the trail no temp light no scratchers. The main thing is coolant full and no air down just a little it will run warm.

mtncrawler

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2010
Breckenridge, Co
So like yesterday, snowing pretty hard, 10 degrees temperature, 2" plus new on trail and I still need scratchers is normal? I sometime ride in with only one down because I'm on and off the trail a lot and I've broken them off on rocks or stumps or who knows maybe metal fatigue and I'm gonna need at least one to get out at the end of the day. I could carry a spare I guess or just stop and cool every 5 minutes. Coolant level is good in both these machines. They were assembled at the same dealer. How would I burp the radiator?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
So like yesterday, snowing pretty hard, 10 degrees temperature, 2" plus new on trail and I still need scratchers is normal? I sometime ride in with only one down because I'm on and off the trail a lot and I've broken them off on rocks or stumps or who knows maybe metal fatigue and I'm gonna need at least one to get out at the end of the day. I could carry a spare I guess or just stop and cool every 5 minutes. Coolant level is good in both these machines. They were assembled at the same dealer. How would I burp the radiator?
You have 3in paddles, 2in of snow isn't even enough to lube the hifax ...

If ur on the trail, put scratchers down, when snow is 5"+, put the scratchers up.

Sent it

Premium Features