• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

163 x 3 series 7 swap to 162 x 3 Powder Claw

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Has anyone done this swap on the axys ? I can get my hands on a 2017 AC track, and I'm needing to know what is needed to swap my ripped up 163" x 3" Series 7 track over to a 162" x 3" PC. Torn my track across to the center windows this past weekend in Revy.
I've search these forums but can seem to find much on the 163". (only 155/153)
Will my stock Axys 7t 3" pitch drivers work on the PC track ?
I'll have to cut off the center driver of course, but I'm thinking it should all line up, along with the stock rails.
Thanks for any input !

IMG_2358.JPG

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I know some guys did this swap last year.
You can also center port the cat track. Its pretty easy, all you need to do is fab up a piece of steel tubing to match the shape of that center port, sharpen the edges and then use a shop press to "punch" the holes in. Eric

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Thanks Eric! I can get a brand new PC take off for way cheaper then a new series 7 or Camo X3 & 3.2. Just want to make sure I don't have to buy new drivers as funds are tight.

Punching centre holes would be a good idea....I have a knobby knife for dirt bike tires that I have trimmed track lugs with....may take some time but it works like a hot damn !

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
you cant try to punch the center ports, but id get the extrovert drivers to be honest. also both tracks are 162 technically so you should be fine with fitment

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Just sucks for us Canadians with the exchange rate on the extroverts ! Anyone with real world experience with the 3" Powder Claw, or my other option is the Challenger 3.2, but the reviews are so/so ?

Last edited:

ArcticChat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2014
Just sucks for us Canadians with the exchange rate on the extroverts ! Anyone with real world experience with the 3" Powder Claw, or my other option is the Challenger 3.2, but the reviews are so/so ?

You'll find a TON of rave reviews on the PC 3" over in the Cat section. Including a guy who swapped one on his Axys 155. I only have experience with the PC 2.6" (it is fantastic - climbing on top of snow, durability both great) but I have heard the 3" is much much better in the deep.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Thanks, I have looked through all the cat forums as well. I bought the 162" x 3" PC from a buddy's '17, as he went turbo/174" from new. Going to install next week and try and run it with the stock Polaris 7T drivers and cut out that center driver. Instead of trying to cut center slots out of the track. Should be able to run proper tension without ratcheting :face-icon-small-dis. If it ratchets, I 'll eat crow & buy extroverts/anti-stab kit, but having owned numerous Polaris' since '99, that center driver (which only grabs the window if the track ratchets, as far as I can tell) showed up in 2008. I don't remember my '05 900 166" slipping to much.
Any thoughts ? I may be dumb, but hopefully not stupid too lol !

IMG_2381.JPG

Last edited:

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Thanks, I have looked through all the cat forums as well. I bought the 162" x 3" PC from a buddy's '17, as he went turbo/174" from new. Going to install next week and try and run it with the stock Polaris 7T drivers and cut out that center driver. Instead of trying to cut center slots out of the track. Should be able to run proper tension without ratcheting :face-icon-small-dis. If it ratchets, I 'll eat crow & buy extroverts/anti-stab kit, but having owned numerous Polaris' since '99, that center driver (which only grabs the window if the track ratchets, as far as I can tell) showed up in 2008. I don't remember my '05 900 166" slipping to much.
Any thoughts ? I may be dumb, but hopefully not stupid too lol !
Doesnt hurt to try

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Well, the 3" powder claw is in the sled as of last night. It was a very tight fit getting the rear axle in, so hopefully this thing stretches out a fair bit. Going to head to Sicamous early next week, with another stock Axys 163 x 3 Series 7. Hopefully get a good comparison on both tracks. Some s**t weather lately, as it is been warm & raining.
Some heavy snow will be good test to see how bad this thing will ratchet on the stock drivers lol.

IMG_2433.JPG IMG_2431.JPG IMG_2438.JPG IMG_2443.JPG IMG_2446.JPG IMG_2449.JPG IMG_2441.JPG IMG_2442.JPG

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
They are both the same length track. The series 7 "163" is really a 162.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Yes they are 162's. But real tight I guess until it breaks in. I've done few track changes in my day, but this was the tightest one I have had.

IMG_2450.jpg

Last edited:

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Well for anyone interested, I finally got to try out this Cat track last week in a few different snow conditions. Put on 190 kms in 2 days with warm temps in Sicamous area with some hard packed, crusty, ice layered snow, and also found some untouched 2.5 ft pow in some shaded creek draws/trees/bowls. This track never ratcheted once with the center driver removed.
Went head to head on a untouched face with buddies 2016 163x3 Series 7. I got him by approx 50 ft or so. We switched sleds and I couldn't come close to my original mark on his sled (taking fresh lines everytime). We matched my rear suspension settings on his sled and I got a better mark with 10 ft higher with less trenching, but still a large difference between sleds. Both sleds bone stock except aftermarket cans, mine having 2600km and his 900km, but my sled has always seem to run stronger then his from the beginning so not a real apples to apples comparison. It did pretty good against the 850 Doo, but he was still in break-in mode until the end of that day.
Overall, I like the track, seems to have a lot of bite on groomed trail, lays over a bit easier on hardpacked, I would say it trenches the same as the Series 7, but found it better in the tight trees. Did manage to sidehill and spin 90 deg and slid backwards into some trees. The downhills were faster, & had me puckered up after the first hardpacked steep drop, but got use to it after day 1. Heading out again in 2 weeks so hopefully get some deep snow to see how this thing floats/trenches.

IMG_2513.JPG IMG_2519.JPG IMG_2520.JPG IMG_2498.JPG IMG_2499.JPG

Last edited:

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
^^^^^^ trailer traction

Ya, I have enough traction already, Superglides got some of my money lol. But I was thinking of hanging this torn track sideways in the garage as a shovel/broom/junk holder or some sh*t.
Such a waste to throw another f'd up track away, haha.

Premium Features