• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

163 vs. 155 track length with turbo?

S
Nov 26, 2007
ND
I have always run the longest track possible with N.A. sleds but now am looking at a turbo axys, and most of them seem to be 155’s. Is that adequate track for the 3 ft of new snow days? I don’t even have any trouble weaving a 163 through the trees but maybe it’s not necessary. Thanks for your opinion

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
You Will want the longer track if you want any hope of keeping the nose down a bit more haha. Had a buddy turbo his 800 and was a 155, has since went up to a 163 and loves it more.

N
Jan 11, 2008
Spokane, WA
I have a 12 assault turbo with a 2.6 155. Its been a constant battle to keep the front down. Either you setup your rear track spring so stiff it rides like crap or you will wheelie straight over backwards in steep climbs. I added arc which does help but its not a cure. If you don't plan to climb anything steep a 155 turbo is a blast. You have to ride as far forward as possible which can really wear you out.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
How controllable is a 155 turbo with aftermarket suspension to help ski lift?

I can tell you from first hand experience, that running a K-mod suspension dramatically reduces front lift.
With 20 position Raptor shocks-along with the new geometry of front and rear arms to the 4 position coupler to control lift- it all work flawlessly together.

The 155 does trench a wee bit more then the 163's (snow conditions of course play a role) but with a stock suspension compared to the K-mod from the ones we have seen/installed- you have at least control over your sled now, and that's the focus control......The plush ride is just a bonus!!!

Ya the video's look cool with the ski's in the air- / it get a bit scary steering with your feet and it's a bit embarrassing cause 3/4 of your track is grabbing nothing but air- and leaving a hole that always get peeps impressed.

Last edited:

WAsledder

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2018
Cle Elum WA
I installed a kmod on my boosted155 last week and it is a completely different sled now. I set the skid up with more playful settings because we typically ride trees and creek bottoms. Before the kmod my sled was borderline uncontrollable. On the minimum coupling setting it pulls th front end up when you want it to but your in control. I can't say enough good things

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I can tell you from first hand experience, that running a K-mod suspension dramatically reduces front lift.
With 20 position Raptor shocks-along with the new geometry of front and rear arms to the 4 position coupler to control lift- it all work flawlessly together.

The 155 does trench a wee bit more then the 163's (snow conditions of course play a role) but with a stock suspension compared to the K-mod from the ones we have seen/installed- you have at least control over your sled now, and that's the focus control......The plush ride is just a bonus!!!

Ya the video's look cool with the ski's in the air- / it get a bit scary steering with your feet and it's a bit embarrassing cause 3/4 of your track is grabbing nothing but air- and leaving a hole that always get peeps impressed.

With the Gen 3 skid, you can get Fox coil-overs with high/low speed compression dampening and rebound adjustments for even more fine tuning the suspension to your liking.

T
Sep 10, 2009
I ran a boosted axys 155 for two years with Raptor shocks in the skid. Loved the track length. I haven't seen any aftermarket skid get on top of the snow like a stock skid does.

I think the most important thing is matching your weight with the track length. Are you 150lbs or 250lbs? I'm 180lbs.

Take a poke around our youtube channel. The blue axys was mine with a 155".
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUjF0yz5ccxgU2s2K76ZJ4w

S
Nov 26, 2007
ND
So buy a 155 and put a 163 Kmod in it is what I’m hearing :face-icon-small-con, was wondering how much the tunnel would be short if I extended a 155 to 163.

I am a 200 lb guy so I’ve come to the conclusion that 163 is probably the way to go, I’m not a great rider so easier to control would be better for me.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
So buy a 155 and put a 163 Kmod in it is what I’m hearing :face-icon-small-con, was wondering how much the tunnel would be short if I extended a 155 to 163.

I am a 200 lb guy so I’ve come to the conclusion that 163 is probably the way to go, I’m not a great rider so easier to control would be better for me.

Search Burandts youtube video on putting a 163" in a 155 tunnel. He actually shortens them up more than the 155. Kind of an interesting video. I can't ride at all like him but the idea sure makes sense.

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
I'll echo what others have said: if you're going to boost a 155" you NEED to upgrade the suspension.

I enjoy riding technical tree sections, and running 5psi on my 155" AXYS w/ QD & 2.6" track made it unbearable.

I recently upgraded to ELKA Stage 5 shocks front and rear..and holy ****, it made a world of difference

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Regarding skid selection, floatation, and wheelie control: no skid, stock, aftermarket, whatever is going to float well AND keep manageable ski pressure if you have an aggressive track and/or you weigh too much for the track length. You can get wheelie control with a coupling skid though.

One of my riding partners is 280 lbs and rides 160 length tracks. He had a stock pro with a 3". Trenched to china everywhere. Flipped over backwards a bunch too. Then boosted Axys with Kmod and conquer track. Trenched to china everywhere until the track got so soft that it was basically junk. Then he floated quite well. He could carry the skis uphill and not just flip right over backwards though. Now stock alpha - trenches everywhere and excessive wheeling. He just shortened the limiter strap to fix it and now it has annoyingly heavy steering. He needs a 174, plain and simple.

I have personally ran stock Pro, stock Axys 800, stock Axys 850, two Gen II Kmods, and a Gen III kmod. The stock skid with factory springs has a great balance of ski pressure and floatation for the 2.6" track. I'm 235 lbs. Pro with 155 3" and kmod - trenched terribly but once I got moving it would settle down. Boosted axys 163 2.6" with stock skid, good floatation but would wheelie over backwards quite easily. Then gen III kmod - good floatation once tuned in, and wheelie control. Fully coupled I could not loop out no matter what. Now stock 850 163 2.6", good floatation and i don't have enough power to have wheelie issues.

You need to get the right track and in the right length if you want to have good floatation with reasonable ski pressure. And then if you're making big power and can't maintain your ground speed (most can't, especially boosted), then you will benefit from a coupled skid. But putting a kmod or other coupling device under a 155 3" when you're 200+lbs isn't going to work well in deep snow or in the trees. Lastly, aftermarket skids take time to dial in to get that balance of floatation and ski pressure. Subtle changes make a big difference, and that goes for stock too, but thankfully they come from the factory pretty darn close to perfect!

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Regarding skid selection, floatation, and wheelie control: no skid, stock, aftermarket, whatever is going to float well AND keep manageable ski pressure if you have an aggressive track and/or you weigh too much for the track length. You can get wheelie control with a coupling skid though.

One of my riding partners is 280 lbs and rides 160 length tracks. He had a stock pro with a 3". Trenched to china everywhere. Flipped over backwards a bunch too. Then boosted Axys with Kmod and conquer track. Trenched to china everywhere until the track got so soft that it was basically junk. Then he floated quite well. He could carry the skis uphill and not just flip right over backwards though. Now stock alpha - trenches everywhere and excessive wheeling. He just shortened the limiter strap to fix it and now it has annoyingly heavy steering. He needs a 174, plain and simple.

I have personally ran stock Pro, stock Axys 800, stock Axys 850, two Gen II Kmods, and a Gen III kmod. The stock skid with factory springs has a great balance of ski pressure and floatation for the 2.6" track. I'm 235 lbs. Pro with 155 3" and kmod - trenched terribly but once I got moving it would settle down. Boosted axys 163 2.6" with stock skid, good floatation but would wheelie over backwards quite easily. Then gen III kmod - good floatation once tuned in, and wheelie control. Fully coupled I could not loop out no matter what. Now stock 850 163 2.6", good floatation and i don't have enough power to have wheelie issues.

You need to get the right track and in the right length if you want to have good floatation with reasonable ski pressure. And then if you're making big power and can't maintain your ground speed (most can't, especially boosted), then you will benefit from a coupled skid. But putting a kmod or other coupling device under a 155 3" when you're 200+lbs isn't going to work well in deep snow or in the trees. Lastly, aftermarket skids take time to dial in to get that balance of floatation and ski pressure. Subtle changes make a big difference, and that goes for stock too, but thankfully they come from the factory pretty darn close to perfect!

Excellent points.

I’m 220# and a progressive rear spring (180-450#) with stock skid works for boosted or not. (162x3)

Then adjust preload per snow conditions.

Shortening the limiter strap is almost always a bad idea.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
What spring is that!? 450lbs/in? Really? Whats the cross-over point?

This one is stainless ($350) but there is a titanium option available. ($450)

It can be plush, anti-wheelie and low ski pressure.

960d4e66453648085bd851ecaedd02bc.jpg

293dd19c8657ea35a790f898bf7f3311.jpg

557d645a94004e9febef6aeeb9fd661a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Premium Features