• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

16’ Axys EV actuator

D
Nov 14, 2013
16’ Axys EV actuator

Been awhile since I posted on the forum but I have a new and bizarre issue with my axys and I hope someone can help. Sled has 4K hard mountain miles, everything has been replaced at some point haha.

So the long story goes like this. Sled lost rpm, would only pull 6500, no codes etc. Turned out that the T-bar for the exhaust valve had broken allowing the steel bushing/seat to fall out and eventually the valve. Replaced the complete assembly with a used unit, got a entire days ride in and same problem it seemed. Turned out the actuator to valve cable snapped. Installed a spare and it made it 2hrs and snapped (both pulled out at the crimp on the ev side.)

I do now have a code 520335-5.

I have heard about actuators requiring a re learn, which I would think is my problem but I’m not seeing a actuator pulling too little, it’s pulling too hard.

I thought potentially I did not adjust the cable correctly but looking at it I don’t see any way to adjust the cable? It seems that the cable is in spec or out of spec?

Due to the damage to the first exhaust valve set and now these cables I would say actuator has failed, but what are your thoughts?

Can I install a new actuator with a good cable and go?

Thanks

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
After a EV cable or actuator replacement a teach in procedure with a Digital Wrench at dealer is required.

D
Nov 14, 2013
Right but I guess I’m leaning towards the actuator being faulty, it did completely smash my previous exhaust valve tbar apart. But perhaps that’s all it is.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I've replace the valve assembly and cable for various reason and never did a "relearn". Sled always ran great. Personally, I would replace the cable every other season. The cable stretching/breaking causes the most problems and it's a cheap R&R to keep the sled running right.

If you do replace the actuator, I would definitely have the dealer do a relearn on it.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I do now have a code 520335-5.

520335-5 Feedback position circuit open/ grounded

Could be a bad wire/ bad ground.

A bad/ corroded relay can also cause this DTC

I have not come across a "super actuator" yet that can break cables.

Install a new cable, check the relays, have a dealer do a DW relearn and then test ride it.

D
Nov 14, 2013
520335-5 Feedback position circuit open/ grounded

Could be a bad wire/ bad ground.

A bad/ corroded relay can also cause this DTC

I have not come across a "super actuator" yet that can break cables.

Install a new cable, check the relays, have a dealer do a DW relearn and then test ride it.

I would assume the cable pulling out at the crimp at the ev valves connector would cause this code? I hear you, but it pulled two different cables apart in one day. The cable that came with the Used EV assembly and the cable that came off my old valves. Ok well I’ll go through the motions this evening and report back. Thanks

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I would assume the cable pulling out at the crimp at the ev valves connector would cause this code? I hear you, but it pulled two different cables apart in one day. The cable that came with the Used EV assembly and the cable that came off my old valves. Ok well I’ll go through the motions this evening and report back. Thanks

Typically not-- that is a flaw with the E-VES system. There are no limit switches on the valves that let the ECU know that they are fully open or closed. The ECU is relying on the sensor in the actuator--- if the actuator movements are "normal" there is no code. Even if the cable is disconnected. Breaking two cables IS odd...but they were both used. With the cable connected to the valves-- but not the actuator-- is it a smooth motion with the cable? Can you feel all three positions? Is the travel length between 16-18mm?

D
Nov 14, 2013
Typically not-- that is a flaw with the E-VES system. There are no limit switches on the valves that let the ECU know that they are fully open or closed. The ECU is relying on the sensor in the actuator--- if the actuator movements are "normal" there is no code. Even if the cable is disconnected. Breaking two cables IS odd...but they were both used. With the cable connected to the valves-- but not the actuator-- is it a smooth motion with the cable? Can you feel all three positions? Is the travel length between 16-18mm?

Ok so getting a cable in Revelstoke is a problem. But I will get one on the sled tomorrow.

In the meantime I did check/ swap all the relays (which seem fine.). As well I cut away all the sheathing in the wire harness closest to the actuator plug. The ground wire sheathing was melted but it was not making contact with any other wires. I replaced, did continuity checks further upstream and all seemed well. There is continuity between the red/black wire and the brown/yellow wire (80ohms)? Does someone have a more in depth description for troubleshooting the wiring?

Fired the sled up (no cable connected,) and still getting the same code. Still thinking actuator guys, unless you have another suggestion?

Last edited:
Premium Features