• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

155 chopped to 146?

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I know a few have done this, and wondering a couple things.
'12 Pro 800 155

Did you guys see a difference in cooling?
-I'd prob chop the 5" or so off and re weld, and I'd be doing the Doo or new polaris thermostat bypass. Iceage rails.

Additional cooler is possible, but would be a "if needed after the fact deal"
-looking into a 1.35" etc (studs), as well as a 2.5" CE setup.

I do/have run this sled here in stupid crappy snow conditions, I keep my eye on temps, and really haven't had problems. Scratchers are essential as oil though, at times. :face-icon-small-hap

Why...?
I'm looking to get a 15 holdover or new axys, maybe in 162. Depending on trade value, I can likely switch to 146" on my current sled much cheaper than buying another sled (SBA). It'll have around 1500 miles at the end of the season, and I've owned since new. I want to stay with the Pro chassis, but not have to spend a ton for a sled that may only get a few days of riding a year. I also don't like pounding my mountain sled here, I find metal fence posts here like I find trees out west. Broken down a couple times right before going on trips west, and that always makes me sick.

If trade value is too low for my liking, I will either keep it and try to sell privately in the fall, or keep it and go 146.

What you all think? Too many dang decisions.

The450kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Rimbey Alberta
I am wondering if the skid stays in the same location and basically install shorter rails? I am looking at doing the same thing as I have a new 146 track,I think it will be a blast.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
As far as I know, guys are custom ordering 146 rails from Iceage, for a Pro. They make em with correct mounting holes, and at that point I'd think it just mounts right back in then. I could be wrong, and it may need repositioned.

May have to switch to different drivers depending on the track you have. I'll have to have two different driver set ups if I go with a Cobra track, and a 2.5" CE.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
You can get them (rails) from your dealer too. 2015 144 Voyager or something like that. Measured them up this fall.

Lind

Lifetime Membership
Sep 14, 2012
Readfield, WI
fairly interested in this as well, running a sba around home and stretching out for out west currently. More or less if i could shove a 144/6 skid into a pro rmk without changing mounting points and too much hanging out the rear id knock a few hours off my track/skid changes plus not having to screw with chaincase

would just have to decide on axys or left over

displacement4me

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Subscribing!

It's taken me about 4 years to get comfortable and confident to pull tree lines on my 800 155". I have been trying to decide if it was reasonable to consider a 163" to the average rider proportional to me on my 155" at 5'4" and ~130lbs.
I'm interested in a Axys Pro too, and wondering if I should think about a 146" build to get me in the ball park weight/size wise for the average rider on a 155" - if that makes sense..

I think I'd rather a naturally aspirated 800cc with all the light weight chassis goods vs a 144/146" 600 with engine work...

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Subscribing!

It's taken me about 4 years to get comfortable and confident to pull tree lines on my 800 155". I have been trying to decide if it was reasonable to consider a 163" to the average rider proportional to me on my 155" at 5'4" and ~130lbs.
I'm interested in a Axys Pro too, and wondering if I should think about a 146" build to get me in the ball park weight/size wise for the average rider on a 155" - if that makes sense..

I think I'd rather a naturally aspirated 800cc with all the light weight chassis goods vs a 144/146" 600 with engine work...

Yep. I had never looked closely at the SBA chassis until recently, and would prefer sticking with my pro rmk chassis, with some changes. Although, im wanting this setup for different reasons. Im a big guy, 6'4" 250 w/gear. Most of our riding here is high speed river rides, and maybe a handful of days riding full ditches etc. we dick around more and more here each time, exploring wooded areas and places that no one considers riding. The mountain experience has come home with us, and longer tracks definitely help! :)

As well as, its simply a great project for the shop this summer if the $ signs align.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
They don't fit the coilover suspension arms.

The voyager has torsion springs

They changed the one model to a coil over for '15. The rails are direct bolt on to our pro suspension arms and chassis mounts. Meaning I can transfer my TS kit too.
If I lived in the US of A I'd probably go with Ice Age but the extra charges for shipping in US dollars and duty at the border and brokerage made my good guy price from the dealer a better deal.
Maybe Poo's list price is much cheaper down there though.

This has been in my mind for a project since last season and this season is,,,, too.
Every spring would be a bit more fun for me with something shorter at the rear and more of a challenge with what's left in the trees. The option of 2 tracks, 2 set's of rails and 2 different mud flaps sounds good except for the 1/2 day in the shop lol.
I've even looked at an angle change at the rear of the tunnel, rail mod and four sets of wheels to make my 155 feel like a 148.

Two things have stopped me. One is my summer dreams of years gone past with a fresh Pineapple Express dumping pow instead of rain every week lol. Sometimes I have to get up early and get a bike ride in before work and the sled stays covered.
The other is the reality that hard pack rippin' with todays grippy tracks means cooling issues.
I've visited the bone yards and picked up a few different style of heat exchangers but they are just more volume and mass and flow resistance. More volume and mass means it takes longer to heat up but it also takes longer to cool down unless snow is hitting them. The old tracks used to spin a lot more. I kinda like the pull of the new traction and don't want to give that up.

So for me, building a short track spring snow ripper for tree riding has been held back by cooling with a 2.5 " track.

Last edited:

FrankTheTank

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
www.mountainspeedshop.se
Last winter I cut down a 2014 163" to 146" and used both IceAge rails and EZRyde suspension. Fun sled!!

I got the PAR extra tunnel cooler and Engine Ice anti freeze.
SD Summit Flex edge track with cut sides.
It ran cold enough to go slow on hard trails with me and both my kids on it without passing 130F.

Im on a 155" EZRyde now, but I liked the 146" much better, it feels like a much shorter sled!

Last edited:

The450kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Rimbey Alberta
They changed the one model to a coil over for '15. The rails are direct bolt on to our pro suspension arms and chassis mounts. Meaning I can transfer my TS kit too.
If I lived in the US of A I'd probably go with Ice Age but the extra charges for shipping in US dollars and duty at the border and brokerage made my good guy price from the dealer a better deal.
Maybe Poo's list price is much cheaper down there though.

This has been in my mind for a project since last season and this season is,,,, too.
Every spring would be a bit more fun for me with something shorter at the rear and more of a challenge with what's left in the trees. The option of 2 tracks, 2 set's of rails and 2 different mud flaps sounds good except for the 1/2 day in the shop lol.
I've even looked at an angle change at the rear of the tunnel, rail mod and four sets of wheels to make my 155 feel like a 148.

Two things have stopped me. One is my summer dreams of years gone past with a fresh Pineapple Express dumping pow instead of rain every week lol. Sometimes I have to get up early and get a bike ride in before work and the sled stays covered.
The other is the reality that hard pack rippin' with todays grippy tracks means cooling issues.
I've visited the bone yards and picked up a few different style of heat exchangers but they are just more volume and mass and flow resistance. More volume and mass means it takes longer to heat up but it also takes longer to cool down unless snow is hitting them. The old tracks used to spin a lot more. I kinda like the pull of the new traction and don't want to give that up.

So for me, building a short track spring snow ripper for tree riding has been held back by cooling with a 2.5 " track.
I had a look at the Voyager parts fiche for '15 but I am unsure if these are the right rails to order? Is this what you were looking at?

The450kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Rimbey Alberta
Priced out the rails Local at $350 per side, still cheaper for ICE Age with the conversion and all the dirty stuff they do to us Canadians when importing...

Premium Features