• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

154 to 165 Conversion -Any Pics of DIY Experts

B

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
Late last season I found a lightly used 2018 Summit 154 with an extended warranty. I want to convert it to a 165. I am hoping guys who have gone this route can help with their experience in the swap. Pics of the project during and after the swap would be appreciated.

Parts I know I need-
Track -I plan on using a stock 3.5 pitch 3.0 lug from Ski Doo. Is there a truly any better option? I want to retain stock drivers.
Rails -IceAge seems like the clear choice.
Snow Flap -Ski Doo Expert

What am I missing?

Thanks in Advance!

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
-Stock track work great compared to most current options
-Ice age or stock rails
-Cut stock snow flap or buy removable one

Don’t forget
-Gearing change
-minor clutching due to extra track weight

B

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
What is stock gearing on a 154? and a 165?

I just checked my parts bin and I have a 19 and 20 top gear in the garage.

B

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
As far as I can tell stock gearing on a 2018 154 is - 21x51 which is a 2.43 ratio

So if I go with a 20x51 that gets me to a 2.55. Which is slightly lower than the stock 165 gearing 21x53 at 2.52

I like tuning from the top first as I want to retain the stock chain.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I’ll be watching this thread closely... I was planning to snowcheck a 165 expert but I chickened out with the whole covid thing going on so that means I’m stuck on my ‘19 154 for another year....

Tjtwenty

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2016
I turned a 19 freeride into an expert last year. I used a kmod skid and went 162 instead of 165. Used 9" rear idlers and used a M67 track, 2.86 pitch. Didn't use any snowflap. It was an awesome setup.

D
Dec 17, 2018
I did the same 154 to 165 on my summit 2018.

I bought track and rails second hand and plan on using the 21x51 tooth that came stock.
Im going to use Adrenaline clutch kit from modshop.se. According to them their clutch kit will work very good with the higher gearing.

I replaced the aluminium lip with the one from an expert together with the expert snowflap.

B

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
Thanks Dave850! I am slowly amassing parts... my knee was replaced 2 weeks ago and I am not quite ready to wrench yet.

I have the Expert snow-flap. The aluminum lip looks like (BRP PN# 518328990). It is only $19.00 so order that too.

As a part of this build I am sending my Fox Evol shocks in to Toms for service and replacing T-Motion with Z-Bros arms and rather than installing the Expert spindles I am installing Duropro ski dampers.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
As far as I can tell stock gearing on a 2018 154 is - 21x51 which is a 2.43 ratio
So if I go with a 20x51 that gets me to a 2.55. Which is slightly lower than the stock 165 gearing 21x53 at 2.52
I like tuning from the top first as I want to retain the stock chain.
Buddy...Here is a gear chart
Gear calculator
use 50.29 for a G4 x 3.0 track.

2018~newer 154 x 3.0 stock gear is 21-51 @ 116p chain.
165 is 21-53 @ 116p chain.
if you are going to a 53 bottom gear, you can go straight to a 19 top gear for 19-53. There is 1.5cm in between the inside of the chain loop. There is a dog leg, but there is no torque on the slider shoe adjuster when full throttle or hand brake. Only time torque is on the slider shoe is when you engine brake or use reverse.
Other than that if wanting to go 19-53 with smaller chain then 114p chain.

Picture what 19-53 w/114p chain looks like here...

Any lower gearing will give you more "track speed staying power" in other words, whatever track speed you hit equilibrium with in a pull, then the track speed will have more strength to resist load changes, AND, when you throttle chop for "X" or "Y" reason, the track speed will recover back to equilibrium quicker than a taller gear. You could lose say 11mph with a 23 top gear on a throttle chop, and have to recover that back. With a 21 top gear, lose 7mph and only have to recover 7mph back. The guy with the taller gear, having to cycle the throttle to "make it" will spend more time trying to accelerate the track to equilibrum every time they chop throttle. Where the guy with the lower gear, their track speed recovers quick so they spend more time AT max track speed in a pull.

Lower gearing is belligerent on 2 prongs. Prong 1 it fights harder to "maintain" track speed and, prong 2, gearing lower doesnt-yield-to and is wilfully-disobedient-to guys who say "gearing up is mandatory", meaning you dont give them control over your actions of what you want to learn.

Try gearing up and drive it for a while and take mental note of the deficiencies "i wish i had this or that"
then after you have your sea-legs with that...
try gearing lower and same procedure. See if the lower gearing filled in the gaps (deficiencies) you took note of with the taller gear.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Buddy...Here is a gear chart
Gear calculator
use 50.29 for a G4 x 3.0 track.

2018~newer 154 x 3.0 stock gear is 21-51 @ 116p chain.
165 is 21-53 @ 116p chain.
if you are going to a 53 bottom gear, you can go straight to a 19 top gear for 19-53. There is 1.5cm in between the inside of the chain loop. There is a dog leg, but there is no torque on the slider shoe adjuster when full throttle or hand brake. Only time torque is on the slider shoe is when you engine brake or use reverse.
Other than that if wanting to go 19-53 with smaller chain then 114p chain.

Picture what 19-53 w/114p chain looks like here...

Any lower gearing will give you more "track speed staying power" in other words, whatever track speed you hit equilibrium with in a pull, then the track speed will have more strength to resist load changes, AND, when you throttle chop for "X" or "Y" reason, the track speed will recover back to equilibrium quicker than a taller gear. You could lose say 11mph with a 23 top gear on a throttle chop, and have to recover that back. With a 21 top gear, lose 7mph and only have to recover 7mph back. The guy with the taller gear, having to cycle the throttle to "make it" will spend more time trying to accelerate the track to equilibrum every time they chop throttle. Where the guy with the lower gear, their track speed recovers quick so they spend more time AT max track speed in a pull.

Lower gearing is belligerent on 2 prongs. Prong 1 it fights harder to "maintain" track speed and, prong 2, gearing lower doesnt-yield-to and is wilfully-disobedient-to guys who say "gearing up is mandatory", meaning you dont give them control over your actions of what you want to learn.

Try gearing up and drive it for a while and take mental note of the deficiencies "i wish i had this or that"
then after you have your sea-legs with that...
try gearing lower and same procedure. See if the lower gearing filled in the gaps (deficiencies) you took note of with the taller gear.
Whats the part number for the 114p chain?

B

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
The Expert snow flap is not part of a kit. PN# 520002051 There is also a rear cap that you will need PN# 518331294

The snow flap is $31 the rear cap assembly is $47. In an earlier post I had included the incorrect rear cap Part Number.

Premium Features