• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

15’ 800 155 chassis totaled?

P
Apr 5, 2019
La pine, Or
Last ride last season sled took a roll down a hill 50’ flipped 4-5 times and landed on the spindle and bars awkwardly. Barely bent the upper a arm and bars bent slightly. Replaced a-arm and straightened bars.

Was just outside doing a preseason and when I went to torque the skid I noticed the tunnel/bulkhead damaged about 4” in front of front track mount on tunnel (see photos) has a good crease in it and a slight crack at the base. I am wondering how “totaled” this is or isn’t. I have located a complete tunnel/bulkhead assembly for $800 locally and know it’s a metric ton of work I don’t really want to do.

C5C7CD6C-0FF1-4989-9AFF-2EC3AAAE87AE.jpeg6EBD7E82-DFF2-4669-8938-1E2C744F8CC8.jpegthanks all for advice and input

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
If you have insurance, that is totaled IMHO. If you do not and it is on you, I would fix it and ride it if I had the time. Fastest way is if you have a bulkhead and tunnel you can switch over to; if you get one make sure you have paperwork / title for the VIN number on it.

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
If the bulkhead or tunnel is bent it is a write off. I had a 14 that got t-boned in the footwell area and the cost of the tunnel and other parts plus labor was enough for the insurance to write it off.

Vertical Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Boyden,Ia
Didnt someone make plates to strengthen this area at one time? If you have insurance its one thing but id find the plates and repair it

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Didnt someone make plates to strengthen this area at one time? If you have insurance its one thing but id find the plates and repair it
There are the Van Amberg plates, but I don't think it covers that area, maybe it does I could be wrong, they were intended for when you take a front end it and it tweaks the tunnel by the drive shaft. But you basically have to disassemble to put it on, and if you have another tunnel and bulkhead, you may as well just transfer everything else into the straight one and go on.

P
Apr 5, 2019
La pine, Or
thank you everyone for the responses.

Unfortunately did not have insurance so stuck with repair myself.

I have located a tunnel and bulkhead with 1300ish miles and title for $800.

I looked up the tunnel/bulkhead braces and can get them for $150-$250

personally thinking of straightening the area and installing new braces and keep it moving. Got it for a smoking deal and have all the tools to make the job as easy as it could be. I will let everyone know the outcome But thinking of repairing as is and keep it budget friendly. Trying to save money for an axys chassis was going to sell this and upgrade but can’t sell it now. Will have a nice spare sled for guest

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Ive fixed a few that were identical to that.

New stronger side plates, lords adhesive (or 3M makes some similar stuff), and time.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Good luck with the fix! Depending on how it comes out, resale might not be that bad. Obviously you want to be honest about it unless you want to break with the cowboy way, and that's going to lower the value, but most pros for sale these days have some cons... Just spitballing: if everything else is good, you might still get $3000 or so out, depending on when you sell. On the other hand, keeping it as a spare means means you can take more of a risk on the next sled.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
thay have plates to fix that ,its a little bit of work to straighten it and install heavier plates but a lot of people have done them . if you do a search you will find detailed instruction on what is involved .

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Keep it cheap, add brackets and brace, and run it until you get a new gen, and then use as a backup sled. The new tunnel and work to replace isn't going to add much to resale if you decide to sell it, compared to the brackets. Just be straight with the new owner...

T
Dec 5, 2009
Bob i have a 2013 pro that has no motor, has lots of up grades on sled. Would take $2000 can send pics, sled is a 9. wont find a cleaner sled

Tony (509) 947_3419

Premium Features