• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

137 mountain horse vs. 137 aro ?

s.e.xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
juneau ak
Looking at a new long track kit and have found some pretty decent deals on 137 mt horse. Anybody that has had both have any input? I know the skis are quite a bit better but is there that much difference in the 137 track kits? itll be about $1500 less.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
About 20lbs difference in weight, ARO being lighter. That will make a difference but its not astronomical. ARO will "feel" a little more flcikable and fun.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Suspension on the aro is better. Definitely quicker side to side. The mountain horse is a good kit. Very capable. The new ski is a huge upgrade. I also put the CMX 2.5 track on mine. Other than suspension I was really happy with my mountain horse. With the new track from CMX I could climb or out climb any kit that i rode with. The track plus ski and spindle though was 1500 bucks. If you’re looking at a $1500 difference definitely by the aro.

T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
I have a 2016 MH kit and ride with guys that have the ARO, we all have the 137. Apples to apples, I typically out climb them. I only count that as a blind squirrel finding a nut with my suspension setup. I never really feel like they have an edge on me as far as equipment is concerned, but they do have more skill and experience and have a legitimate edge there. My next kit won’t be an ARO, probably a CMX or something else with a belt and playful suspension.

M
Jan 14, 2004
My suggestion would be buy the newest kit you can afford. I rode my 137 TS for 4 seasons. My riding buddy is still riding one. To me it always felt too long in the sense that it didn't like to turn. I used to think it was my CR500 making it feel that way but my buddy has the exact same bike as me and we switch back and forth once and a while. His YZ with the 137 TS feels exactly like my CR500/137TS did, he says my setup feels like a sports car in comparison. He has a CMX track on his so it climbs well in the open but to me it sucks in the tight trees, it just wont react fast enough and that's with a Yeti ski. Basically I cant get off that thing fast enough, my Camso runs circles around it and out climbs it in virtually all cases. The TS was a good kit and served me very well but I was happy to see it head down the road.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
So it seems like most people are saying the 16-17 Mountain Horse kits climb and get up on the snow better than the ARO? Yet the ARO is more nimble and better on the trail? Perhaps the narrow track and drivetrain drag are part of this?

What geometry on the 20 ARO is changed? Maybe this will be an improvement?

s.e.xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
juneau ak
Pulled the trigger on the aro 137! im 220 then add gear so im sure the 137 will carry me around better than my 120. going on a brand new 19' yz 450 so im pretty stoked for winter now!

Premium Features