• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

13’ 800 proclimb killing randomly, low idle, and bogging our when touching throttle after start up.

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
Thanks! Bought a new cat cylinder. Bought spi top end kit that comes with all gaskets rings and pistons.

does anybody know where I can get my cylinders honed? No machine shops around me seem to do nicacil... If I can do it myself, what should I use to do it?

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
Anybody have an idea what ring end gap I should be running on a 2013 xf 800 hc?

p.s.
Reeds were chipped off. Turns out these motors don’t run well on surplus of air/water. ??‍♂️

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I believe I read in the service manual that Cat sells a ball hone for the cylinders. Not sure how specialized it is vs any ball hone, probably just the correct size?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
You're just looking to hone the other cylinder and not the one you are replacing? If there's no gouges and just a bit of aluminum stuck to the surface get some muratic acid from a hardware store and wipe the aluminum you want to remove with a rag with the acid. It will eat the aluminum and leave the plating. Just don't get it on any of the other bare aluminum surfaces.

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
You're just looking to hone the other cylinder and not the one you are replacing? If there's no gouges and just a bit of aluminum stuck to the surface get some muratic acid from a hardware store and wipe the aluminum you want to remove with a rag with the acid. It will eat the aluminum and leave the plating. Just don't get it on any of the other bare aluminum surfaces.

afterlooking closer, the old cylinder is fine. I can still see the cross hatching. I hit it gently with a scotch brite pad. I’m not sure how the new cylinders show up. I’m hoping I can just drop the piston in and call it good. Waiting For the mail per usual.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Gotcha. New cylinders should be ready to go when you get them. Just wash the bore with soap and water to make sure there aren't any residual contaminates from the boring and honing process. The more I read about modern nicasil coated cylinders the more I subscribe to the theory they don't need honed when replacing pistons as long as there's no damage.

Premium Features