• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

11 Pro 800 coil/wire issues?

M
Dec 5, 2020
FIrst year ever owning a sled, got a 11 rmk pro 800 in August. Has ran perfect every time I've started it since I've owned it. Changed plugs, drained fuel and changed chain case oil before first ride.
First ride went smooth, besides blowing a front shock about 2 hours in. Sled ran perfect that day. Got it back home, took the front shocks off and got them rebuilt. Sled was sitting for 2 weeks. Installed them today and started it up, noticed it sounded off.
Sure enough, PTO side cylinder is misfiring. PTO plug is wet, and MAG side is dry. Ran shortly with PTO wire off and sounds the same with both connected. Noticed PTO wire is worn through sheave, can't see it worn into the wire itself.
Had sled running and was wiggling PTO wire, and cylinder fired for a few seconds and went out again. Not sure if coincidence or not.
Obviously idle is a bit low with 1 cylinder down, idling at about 1400-1600 rpm, sometimes 1000-1300 at startup. Also sometimes it will stall when going into reverse or out of reverse.

There is only 1300 miles and top end was rebuilt with Wiseco Pistons at 800 miles, not due to failure, but because previous owner owned a powersport shop and preventatively did it. GGB can also installed.
Are coils/wire assembly common on these model year sleds? Or should I be looking elsewhere. I've never owned a sled before, so any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I would change plugs first. Fuel & oil filter and wires wouldnt hurt. Double check all wiring connections and the grounds on the pto side (bunch of brown wires together).

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Do you do anything with the ground wires on the front overstructure when you swapped shocks? If ground is good, start at plugs working back, e.g., swap coils, plug wires.

M
Dec 5, 2020
I would change plugs first. Fuel & oil filter and wires wouldnt hurt. Double check all wiring connections and the grounds on the pto side (bunch of brown wires together).

Checked compression tonight, 120-130 psi both cylinders, @ 1700ft. Verified both plugs and wires have spark, not sure if voltage is sufficient on PTO cylinder though, just held the plug near engine to visually see spark.
Heated plugs up with torch, seemed to run a tiny bit better. The cylinder fires and then doesn't, whenever it wants to it seems, misses more than it fires.
Checked grounds, connectors, and fuel injector wiring all looked good. Did find some water in a few connectors, blew them out and couldn't see any corrosion.
Swapping plugs from cylinder to cylinder makes no difference.
I also did install iridium plugs instead of copper when I replaced them, maybe that has something to do with it?
Going to try new copper plugs tomorrow, if they are in stock.

M
Dec 5, 2020
Do you do anything with the ground wires on the front overstructure when you swapped shocks? If ground is good, start at plugs working back, e.g., swap coils, plug wires.
Nope, I didn't touch any wiring when R&Ring shocks. And not sure if i can swap coils and wires as they are one unit each and the spark timing would be off?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Iridium is fine, you need to touch the plug threads to metal for proper grounding/spark.

When was the fuel filter changed last? Injectors cleaned or replaced last?

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
take the boots off the wires cut the wire back a 1/4 inch and put the caps back ,screw them in tight and see what happens , if this doesn't help sprat starting fluid around the crank seal if the idle changes you have an air leak .

M
Dec 5, 2020
Iridium is fine, you need to touch the plug threads to metal for proper grounding/spark.

When was the fuel filter changed last? Injectors cleaned or replaced last?

Went and got copper NGK plugs. Installed and fired up. Runs mint. Idling at 1800 to 2000 cold, can enable reverse. Let sled warm up to 30 Celsius, and removed PTO plug, was nice and dry.

The guy who I got the sled from said that the oil was turned up since "more oil = longer engine life". I'm wondering if the oil is turned up too high and is fouling the plugs on startup?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Interesting, get out and ride and measure your oil/fuel usage. I have all my sleds set for 40:1, no issues.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Mechanical oil pump. Uses very little oil at startup and idle from the pump.

Premium Features