• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

11-15 Pro Ride RMK? What changes though the years?

H
Jun 30, 2019
St Anthony, Idaho
Looking at one of these Polaris Pros or Assaults? Think correctly? Anyways it’ll will be an 800 so I just want to know the changes though the years big or small. Is there a certain year I should try to buy? Is there one year that weren’t to good? Just inform me on what’s different, specifically the 11 vs 12 vs 13? Also whats the difference between the pro rmk and the assault rmk? Thanks.

A
Feb 11, 2017
Seward, Alaska
The 11' and 12' Pro's were a little bit heavier, the 2013 model dropped nearly 20 lbs. Pros also got the chain-case replaced with a belt-drive in 2013. One of the biggest differences between the Assault and the Pro's is that the Assault had a wider ski stance, the Pro's minimum ski stance is 39" whereas the Assaults minimum ski stance is 41.5". The Assaults also never got the belt-drive. They were set up more for people who jump their sled a lot. Generally first-year models have a few more problems so I would shy away from the 11's, the 13's also had quite a few changes, this caused a few hiccups which were mostly resolved in 2014. Personally I have a 2013 Pro RMK 800 and it has not given me any significant issues, but I take good care of it and some sled's just have fewer defects than others. But I'd say a 2014 or 2015 model is the sweet spot.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Pro: is lighter, not as good of shocks, narrow ski stance, belt drive. In my group of guys, the 14 and up Pro 800s have been very reliable. If it were me, I'd try to buy a 14 or newer due to all the other engine updates.

Assault: better shocks, needle valve shocks are pretty good shocks. MUCH better than the clicker shocks you can get on the pros.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
2013 was also the first year for the thicker cylinder skirts, helps prevent them from breaking off and going through the bottom end. The first year '13 belt drive belts were failure prone, an improved belt came along in '14 and solved the problem. 13 was also the first year for the bonded A-arm design (that remained the same through '15) which quite a few people had issues with. The glue would fail quite easily from even minor hits, Z-Bros or other aftermarket brands can take care of that with improved designs. The geometry also changed slightly in '13 in regards to shock length. '13 debuted a shorter/wider seat as well that was a nice improvement in comfort and easier to swing your foot around, and new running boards that VASTLY improved traction and clean out, as well as board strength complimented the package.

So all in all, the '13 model year actually had a lot of updates and refinements over the 11's and 12's.

Premium Features