• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1/2 Ton Diesel

MX86

Lifetime Membership
Apr 9, 2008
Bemidji, MN
I’d say the eco diesel is a great option from Ram, and quite interested in the rumors of an inline 6 diesel from GM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Why when the 3.5 EcoBoost kills it in horsepower and torque and half the maintenance cost who needs the half-ton diesel

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Took the new F150 for a drive yesterday. Was quite surprised at how nicely it drove. It’s getting absolutely amazing fuel mileage and with a tuning kit will deliver 500ft/lbs of torque.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And o should mention the engine VERY quiet, ford did a great job of isolating the engine noise from the cab for someone that doesn’t want it to sound like an F250 Powersteoke

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Took the new F150 for a drive yesterday. Was quite surprised at how nicely it drove. It’s getting absolutely amazing fuel mileage and with a tuning kit will deliver 500ft/lbs of torque.

You drove the F150 Diesel? What kind of mileage were you seeing?

I drive a '17 F150 Eco/10 speed for work and the mileage is not stellar but the power is decent.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ya, my local dealer had a new platinum diesel on the lot and let me take it out for a bit. My son had suggested I take a look at it. Found several written reviews of drivers getting 28mpg or higher on highway driving with no trailer. One claiming 32 over 750 miles of driving.

For the daily commute this truck should be a hands down winner.

But TOWING is another matter.
While it felt like it had planets of power to move itself right along I do NOT know how it would do with a fully loaded 28ft sled trailer behind it yet! Stock torque ratings were nothing to write home about, but I found a tuning kit claiming 500ft/lbs...

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Nice looking truck, gets expensive fast though, wow.

Definitely intrigued by the half ton diesels, but as mentioned above I feel like it will be a tough sell vs the ecoboost. It’ll be cool when these and the 3.0 Dmaxes get on the road and we start seeing reviews.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I love my duramax. That being said if I didn't want/need the pulling power and suspension capibility of a HD 3/4-1ton I would not own a diesel. The 3.5 turbo ford and 6.2 GM are amazingly powerful engines both fun to drive and pull well beyond the capability of a 1/2 ton suspension IMO. Fuel economy is similar. I don't think it makes sense to pay more up front, more for maintenance, and around half a dollar more a gallon for fuel.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I love my duramax. That being said if I didn't want/need the pulling power and suspension capibility of a HD 3/4-1ton I would not own a diesel. The 3.5 turbo ford and 6.2 GM are amazingly powerful engines both fun to drive and pull well beyond the capability of a 1/2 ton suspension IMO. Fuel economy is similar. I don't think it makes sense to pay more up front, more for maintenance, and around half a dollar more a gallon for fuel.

That is exactly how I feel.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Old 7.3 came out with 215hp. Wasn't till 2000/2001 they bumped it to 250hp.

HP depends what state it was bought. I think TX had the most HP and CA the least.

I have a couple 1996 year 7.3 crew cab manual 4WD.

Bought a chip programmer $200 plugs into ECM and gets ALOT of power. Only limited by the injectors.

BTW paid under 7 grand with low miles 150 and 3 grand for one with 300

Get 18-20 MPG FWY and 15-16 pulling steel 6 place trailer.

Its loud ugly and rides like an old wood bleacher … and when I damage it peanuts to fix.

Thinking about propane injection. My buddy gets over 25 unloaded and 18-20 loaded.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Ya, it's ALL ABOUT TOWING.
If you aren't hauling a load on a regular basis it's hard to justify the big F250 powerstroke.

But the smaller 3L, this engine configuration has been the norm in Europe for decades now and just starting to show up in the USA recently.

It will be super interesting to see how this engine plays out as they get into circulation

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Really? Everyone here with them is getting mid twenties as a daily driver on the 3.5 Eco. Maybe it's cause its flatter here? LOL

NO ONE is reporting real world Mid-Twenties...

picture.php

picture.php

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
NO ONE is reporting real world Mid-Twenties...

Seen it on the dash display and hand calculated at the pumps on 3 different ones over the last year.

All 3 are crew cab, 6.5' bed with max payload and max towing packages. 3.5 eco with the 10 speed. All 3 are pretty much identical as far as options.

The numbers in your post look more like the ones with the older 6 speed tranny that guys were getting in the 2013-2016 models, but I'm pretty sure they dropped that completely in 2017????

Christopher, how many miles a year do you drive? Towing and non-towing? Any idea?

Premium Features