• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 m8 plugs and wires electrical problem?

M
Mar 9, 2020
Hello everyone,,
went riding the last couple of weekends and get about 45 50 miles on the sled and it starts running really crappy like firing on one cylinder barley pull itself around so today i started pullin plug caps of to see which was miss firing when running. when i did that nothing would change intell i went to put the cap back on and it would pick up till i snap the cap all the way down on the plugs it would do this on all of them except the top plug on the pto side. so i was ready to give up and get towed in then i pulled the cap off the top plug on the mag side and it would run alittle better sorta pull itself around so i slid the cap back on but didnt snap it all the way back down on the plug and it ran great so i am at a lose and any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
They're known for plug wires rubbing through and shorting out. Ur placement of the wire probably had more to do with the other end of the wire near the coil. I would remove and inspect all sparkplugs then inspect all plug wires.

Sent it

Last edited:
J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Yep...the plug wires rub together and short out...you moving the caps around probably stopped to rub point where they were grounding. Put 2, instead of 1, spacer clips on the wires to keep them apart properly. And inspect frequently. Also, make sure your plug cap connector is not dirty...those tend to get looser overtime and sometimes vibrate around and build up a layer of dust.

M
Mar 9, 2020
Hello everyone,,
went riding the last couple of weekends and get about 45 50 miles on the sled and it starts running really crappy like firing on one cylinder barley pull itself around so today i started pullin plug caps of to see which was miss firing when running. when i did that nothing would change intell i went to put the cap back on and it would pick up till i snap the cap all the way down on the plugs it would do this on all of them except the top plug on the pto side. so i was ready to give up and get towed in then i pulled the cap off the top plug on the mag side and it would run alittle better sorta pull itself around so i slid the cap back on but didnt snap it all the way back down on the plug and it ran great so i am at a lose and any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.mobdro lucky patcher kodi

Thank you my issue has been solved,...

J
Jun 19, 2020
check 2 things--old gas?
clutching-set up for high elevation.?

I have an 09 crossfire 8, when I first bought it I got the code, can't remember if it was for exh temp sensor or knock sensor, but I put fresh gas in it, never seen it again. Mine did burn down at 1200 miles, (I bought it with 95 miles on it) and it had 9000 ft + clutching installed, I didn't know it and was running it in the Midwest that way... I can't say for certain that the clutching was the cause of the burn down, but I checked everything I could think of while rebuilding the motor. Found no water in gas, acceptable alcohol content, no oil issues, etc. Next fall while installing a clutch kit, I compared the numbers of what I was taking out against the part list sticker on sled and realized that I was running it at low elevations with high elevation clutching. Now theres 5000 miles on it and still running great.!

R
Best and quickest way to check, pull off the caps and cut 1/2 off your wires and turn the caps back on. If there is a connection problem, that will help. All that is doing is making a better connection with fresh wires. The same can be done with the ends going into the coils.

S
Jul 6, 2020
I know ECU 17 is Exhaust temp sensor. I changed the sensor, checked all the wiring from sensor connector all the way back to connector on ECU with me trusty Fluke. i didn't actually check resistance which I will do in the AM but good continuity. I checked the connectors themselves and cannot locate a problem. What else may I be missing?

shareit apk vidmate apk pc

F
Feb 20, 2021
Nevada
Had the exact same problem with a 09 HCR. Changed every electrical component, including the ECU,still started for 5-10 sec. than shut off. Contacted Arctic Cat directly and followed all their instructions and tests.They concluded that it was the main harness and sent us one. Installed it and one pull later it started and runs perfect now. We had taken the harness out and inspected it and seen nothing. Could have been pin tension or broken wire inside ,who knows.The main thing is ,it was the harness. Hope this helps.

F
Feb 20, 2021
Nevada
I know ECU 17 is Exhaust temp sensor. I changed the sensor, checked all the wiring from sensor connector all the way back to connector on ECU with me trusty Fluke. i didn't actually check resistance which I will do in the AM but good continuity. I checked the connectors themselves and cannot locate a problem. What else may I be missing? forpc.onl jiofi.local.html

L
Jan 31, 2022
Nevada
Well boys day 3 starts tommorow and my problem persists,engine will start for 5 seconds and shut down pull the plugs and spark gradually comes back,seems like a short i could smell the ecu burning the 2 blue condensors ? are they part of the coils Or something else. checked wiring, stator and trigger coils are new unplugged everything that doesn't affect spark still no change,is it possible one bad coil could effect them all and shut the ecu down? vidmate instagram video download

Premium Features