• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 800R coughing and backfiring at idle and low RPM runs good on the top end

X
Sep 15, 2008
Logan, Utah
coughing and backfiring at idle and low RPM runs good on the top end. This is at 4500' in elevation Carbs are clean. Occasionally hard to start. Has anyone had issues like this I'm a little stumped as where to go from here. could this be a DPM issue or is this more of a an electrical issue I need to be chasing? problem with a coil?

kamshaft

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 1, 2008
Draper, UT
My 08 XP 800 summit would cough and backfire occasionally at low rpm. Fresh plugs usually helped. I’d try that and maybe drain out the gas. Might be a bad batch of gas that’s not igniting well at lower rpm’s.

X
Sep 15, 2008
Logan, Utah
My 08 XP 800 summit would cough and backfire occasionally at low rpm. Fresh plugs usually helped. I’d try that and maybe drain out the gas. Might be a bad batch of gas that’s not igniting well at lower rpm’s.
Thanks! I will try that. Could a power valve that is stuck open also cause this condition?

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
My 07 with a weak stator acts odd at low rpm. I dont get a backfire though. The dpm solenoid is super easy to clean. Open power valve shouldnt make it back fire but it would decrease bottom end power. Hows the compression?

Premium Features