• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 m7 rktek big bore slp twins setup

JordanWilliams

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2013
Eastern South Dakota
Look for any info on a rkt m7-m8 big bore setup running the slp twins. Sled runs good now just finally decided to see how big of a pain the slp twins are and if I can tune them. I have the 10.4 primary and torsional secondary. Egt AFR gauges also. I think I can overcome the struggles everyone talks about but would like to know what others have had good luck with on this setup. Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks!

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I had a buddy with the same set-up. When it ran, it ran awesome...and that was typically a sunny day without a lot of powder to clog intakes, vents or exhaust. Even then, it usually required day to day tuning/refining, so be prepared to fiddle depending on conditions. As for set-up, you will have to find it from day to day and it certainly depends on your elevation and conditions. Kelsey at RKT is great to deal with...if you contact him, he'll be able to help you get it close. But the fueling does require knowledge and adjustments...so be read to tune.

JordanWilliams

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2013
Eastern South Dakota
I had a buddy with the same set-up. When it ran, it ran awesome...and that was typically a sunny day without a lot of powder to clog intakes, vents or exhaust. Even then, it usually required day to day tuning/refining, so be prepared to fiddle depending on conditions. As for set-up, you will have to find it from day to day and it certainly depends on your elevation and conditions. Kelsey at RKT is great to deal with...if you contact him, he'll be able to help you get it close. But the fueling does require knowledge and adjustments...so be read to tune.
I’ve talked to Kelsey previously and he has been great help. I plan on always keeping my stock pipe and can along but I got a set of brand new pipes for $150 so figured I’d see if the horror stories are true lol. Thanks for the reply!

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I remember my friend cursing about those twins back in the day. He finally did away with them and his best set up was with a BMP fat azz pipe and stock muffler. Of course this was 10+ years ago now. Those 700 always seems very sensitive to exhaust back pressure. i remember putting a d&d can on my M7 and the thing was a complete dog, ran great with the stock set up though. I'm sure if you spend some time with some tuning you can get somewhere with it but i doubt it will be a pull n go set up. I will say those twins did sounds evil. Loud but not ear piercing loud, probably one of the better sounding machines I've heard

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I’ve talked to Kelsey previously and he has been great help. I plan on always keeping my stock pipe and can along but I got a set of brand new pipes for $150 so figured I’d see if the horror stories are true lol. Thanks for the reply!

Your single pipe set-up will be fairly different from your twin pipe set-up. If it was me, I'd run the single when the snow is deeper and fresh during early to mid season. Then, for spring, I'd throw the twins on. They are awesome when they run and perfect for spring conditions...and much more power than your single. Also, you will probably want to run some extra octane with the twins...and you will want a consistent fuel mix else the tuning is impacted. A lot of us just use octane boosters (royal purple is pretty good) to keep the gas density the same and our tune solid from day to day...this for my M8 turbo set-up.

JordanWilliams

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2013
Eastern South Dakota
Your single pipe set-up will be fairly different from your twin pipe set-up. If it was me, I'd run the single when the snow is deeper and fresh during early to mid season. Then, for spring, I'd throw the twins on. They are awesome when they run and perfect for spring conditions...and much more power than your single. Also, you will probably want to run some extra octane with the twins...and you will want a consistent fuel mix else the tuning is impacted. A lot of us just use octane boosters (royal purple is pretty good) to keep the gas density the same and our tune solid from day to day...this for my M8 turbo set-up.
I run avgas and my sled is premix so no variables there. 40:1 and straight avgas. Sled runs great with stock pipe and skinz can that Kelsey recommended. Was hoping that with egt and air fuel ratio tuning would be easy. Anyone have any input on where to put O2 sensor on twin pipe setup? On my single i have it in the fattest part of the pipe but I’ve heard of people running them on top of the can.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Straight Av will certainly help things...is very consistent on density and quality. O2s should go at the fattest part of each pipe. You can run them in a can for the single set-up because you have all exhaust going there...but with twins and needing to tune each cylinder, fat part of the pipe. Sounds like you have all the right ingredients to make it run right. Also, one last tip...run it a bit fat down low so that you have enough gas to cool things down after long pulls...you can squeak that set-up if too lean on the low end after long pulls.

Premium Features