• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 VE 800 low on power

A
Dec 2, 2007
Mammoth Lakes
My 800 this year is low on power. Runs fine, just won't get above 6000 rpm. The clutching was right before. Exhaust valves
Didn't look to gumed up. Both cylinders firering. Any thoughts?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Bellows on exhaust valves?

Any oil leaking around the ves?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Bad roller on clutch, bad bushing on clutch weight, sheaves sticking, broken clutch spring, secondary clutch binding, bad motor mount, belt to loose?

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Are there any red lights on, in your speedometer or tachometer?
Have you checked all of the bearings, especially the drive axle bearings and rear bogie wheels, for seizure?
Does your headlight dim when you rev the engine?
Does is rev up slower than normal before it hits 6000 RPM?
Does your bright headlight position work?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Carb jets all cleaned? It could be some varnish in main jets depending how you stored it from last year.
Fresh gas in it?
Mouse nest in exhaust.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
I had an issue like that on two sleds and it was two different solutions. On one, the CDI/ECU became defective. So I replace the CDI/CDU. On the other, the main engine electrical harness became defective and it was not getting correct information from the TEMP sensor on top of the engine and the TEMP light in the tachometer gauge was always on. So I replace the main engine electrical harness that connects to the CDI and TEMP sensor.

A
Dec 2, 2007
Mammoth Lakes
Are there any red lights on, in your speedometer or tachometer?
Have you checked all of the bearings, especially the drive axle bearings and rear bogie wheels, for seizure?
Does your headlight dim when you rev the engine?
Does is rev up slower than normal before it hits 6000 RPM?
Does your bright headlight position work?
No lights on. Haven't done the bearing check, will jack the back up and see how the track spins.
Don't think the headlight dims
Revs about the same
Haven't tried the bright headlight.

Primary clutch spring looks good, haven't really torn into the clutches yet.

No oil leaks from the valves

A
Dec 2, 2007
Mammoth Lakes
I had an issue like that on two sleds and it was two different solutions. On one, the CDI/ECU became defective. So I replace the CDI/CDU. On the other, the main engine electrical harness became defective and it was not getting correct information from the TEMP sensor on top of the engine and the TEMP light in the tachometer gauge was always on. So I replace the main engine electrical harness that connects to the CDI and TEMP
With a bad ECU the engine still ran?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
When it hits 6000 rpm, Does the engine still sound crisp like it's running great?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Not as crisp as it used to. Sounds a little boggy but not missing or ruff.
So with no TEMP warning light showing on the dash, then it looks like the CDI/ECU has acquired some kinks. The easiest way to check this is to borrow an airbox off of another identical engine size and model year of Polaris. You are going to then be using both the coil and CDI/ECU from the other sled. If you notice any change, then that was the culprit. You have to buy used ones off of say EBAY or another parts suppliers like the two shops in CLE ELUM Washington, who advertise on the Seattle craigslist.

Premium Features