• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 Summit 800 Carb boots/rings

J
Apr 6, 2009
They need replacing, should a guy go with boots from ski doo or are there some better aftermarket boots out there. Also plan on changing rings and taking care of y pipe bolts. I was planning on ordering rings from ski doo as well. Anything else to look at. Sled is all stock with 500 miles. This is my first sled, any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Joel

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
honestly the carb boots from skidoo are 150$ each. vforce or boyeson aftermarket reeds come with new boots and the reeds for 300$. so better to go that route if you choose to replace the boots. that way your getting some better performance aswell.

skidoo rings would be the way to go if they are stock doo pistons in the motor.

K-DOG2

Whiskey Dreamer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 6, 2007
MN
I did the same thing to my 04 a couple years ago. I went with v-force, but like rocks rev said they started delaminating after a year. If I would of had more time I would of bought a set of after market dual ring pistons instead of just replacing just the stock rings. Clutching is huge, go through your primary checking for wear on bushings, slider shoes and rollers. Wouldn't hurt to put fresh springs in both primary and secondary. (if you want spend alittle extra $)

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I also have a 04 800

I went with the boysen rage cage reeds they came with alu boots so you will never have that problem again. Also go with aftermarket pistons wisco or Rkt I think makes a good set also.:D

K
Probably a dumb question, but how can you tell if the boots need replacing? I have the same sled and the boots look and feel to be in perfect condition. Soft, pliable, no visible cracking or de-laminating. Is there something else I should be looking for? The sled has about 1300 miles on it, approaching the dreaded 2000 mile mark:(, so far awesome sled, no problems. (knock on wood) :beer;

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
as long as your airbox is and carbs are supported properly and you dont mess around in that area the boots should last a long time. buy for guy like me takingthe carbs and airbox off every day it gets hard on them. all your looking for is cracks. but they will only show if you move them side to side a little bit.

S
Nov 26, 2007
www.sled-parts.com
If your looking to replace the carb boots we have them in stock. We also have the RAD valves which eliminate the stock which most guys are using instead of the stock design. Also, if your looking to replace the piston/rings we have single and dual ring pistons in stock for the 800HO.

http://www.sled-parts.com

J
Apr 6, 2009
RAD Valves

I've got a buddy that is helping me change out the rings, which is what I am leaning towards. If I go to the boyesen rad valves am I going to have to do some additional tuning with the motor? Seems like the kimpex boots would only cost about $40, but if they don't last I don't think the savings are worth it. Pretty new to the two-strokes. Thanks

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
your motor has 500 miles on it. dont let kimpex at it lol. just my personal opinion.

you wont need to do any tuning with the boyeson system as far as i know

J
Apr 6, 2009
Rings/Pistons/Boyesen Rad Valves

With only 500 miles and good compression, should a guy just replace the rings or go with new pistons and rings? Is there a big difference between the boyesen rad valves alone vs. the rage cage power pack? I am leaning toward the rings alone and the rad valves. Thanks

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
With only 500 miles and good compression, should a guy just replace the rings or go with new pistons and rings? Is there a big difference between the boyesen rad valves alone vs. the rage cage power pack? I am leaning toward the rings alone and the rad valves. Thanks

Don't touch anything for at least another 1000 miles. you're barely broken in.

Summit97

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Pipestone Mn
04 800 motor

Those motors are known for flaking rings. I had one with 750 miles on it and I replaced them. They had some flaking on them. So I got ahold of Big John on here and picked up his torker kit. It made it have great mid range. I also put in a set of V force reeds.To get rid of the bad boots.

P.S.
I have those V force reeds for sale
I pulled them out with about 200 miles
on them when I traded the sled off

Summit97

Another vote for Boyesens! No way they can delaminate, unless the coupling boot goes bad, but those are just a few bucks to replace.

Might check out RKT and do a Drop-in kit if you have the money, if the motor needs to be gone through anyways, make a few extra hp to boot! RKT or Big John at Sledhead racing, they both have there act together!

EDIT: Woh! Just saw 500 miles on the sled, I wouldn't start looking at doing the motor work until atleast 2-2500 miles, at 500 miles, you just really got the thing broke in!!!!:)

J
Apr 6, 2009
Rings

I was thinking that throwing a new set of rings in would be a good bit of preventative maintenance knowing the flaking issues. I thought it would be a lot cheaper to fix the problem now then later?

Premium Features