• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 700 RMK overheating, no power

T
Jan 3, 2008
Park Rapids, MN
I have an 04 700 RMK with a 159" track. Was riding this weekend, ran good for about 40 miles, started to develop a bog, had to get on the throttle to get out of 1-2 feet of powder on flat forest roads. Second day it had the bog to start with, seven miles of riding and I had to pin it to get up a five foot hill, after that the temp light came on, no power. Pulled the thermostat, it was open, then opened the bleeder valve and coolant was coming out so I think the coolant pump is working, put a new coolant belt in this fall. I had a new Dayco drive belt in, first time i've used one, the sides are really glazed over. The sled ran great two week ends ago in same conditions and temp. Anyone have any ideas what to start with to fix problem? I don't want to bring it in if it's a simple fix. I also don't want to run it in case there's something seriously wrong and cause more problems. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Vertical Asshauler

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I pretty sure that the water pump impeller is stripped out on the shaft. This is a very common issue with edge motors. Ive seen it happen 10+ times in the last 2 years. What will happen is the impeller will slip on the shaft intermittently during running so sometimes it will seem ok and then it will over heat.

An easy test to see if the water pump is circulating properly is to bring the sled up to operating temp so the thermostat is open. Then feel each of the running board coolers. Both sides will be the same temperature. So if one is cold and one is hot the impeller is stripped.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Does the temp light come on now on a cold start? /Those motors are notorious for temp sensors going bad. We carry spares in the mtns cuz that is how they run when they go bad and you can't get them out. About a $20 bill and 5min fix. Might try that before you start digging deeper.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Is it Getting Hot ?

When the light is on throw Snow on the running boards. If it that hot the snow will be steaming instantly.

If the Heat light is on and the running Board coolers are not hot, I agree you have got a water pump out or sensor.

I have an 02 800 159 and I had heating issues with it down the trail.
Ported the track and put scratchers on.

When mine would over heat ( and it did ) the motor would only rev to about 2500. Must be a built in rev limiter.

Do check the sensor, if you can put your hand on the head right after a cold starti and the light is on, the sensor is most likely no good. The sensor will cause the engine to run poorly.

Vertical Asshauler

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Kelowna, BC
By the way you explained your problem it doesnt sound like a temp sensor. But checking it over would be a good idea. The motor will go into limp mode when the temp light comes on as a way to alert the rider something is wrong.

Do the test for the water pump I posted previously. You can do this right in your shop or driveway and will only take 5 mins.

H
Nov 4, 2009
northern Iowa
that sounds something like what mine is doing i have a 2001 800 xc sp but my temp light comes on about 20min after i leave my garage i do most of my riding in the ditches when poss so i no im getting as much cooling as poss

Last edited:

xcrash911

Lifetime Membership
I pretty sure that the water pump impeller is stripped out on the shaft. This is a very common issue with edge motors. Ive seen it happen 10+ times in the last 2 years. What will happen is the impeller will slip on the shaft intermittently during running so sometimes it will seem ok and then it will over heat.

An easy test to see if the water pump is circulating properly is to bring the sled up to operating temp so the thermostat is open. Then feel each of the running board coolers. Both sides will be the same temperature. So if one is cold and one is hot the impeller is stripped.

I'm dealing with a cooling issue right now too. Head is hot and light comes on, both running boards are cool. I'm guessing it has to be a impeller issue? (water pump belt is fine)

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I'm dealing with a cooling issue right now too. Head is hot and light comes on, both running boards are cool. I'm guessing it has to be a impeller issue? (water pump belt is fine)

Could be nothing more than an airlock too. Did you just have the motor out, or empty of coolant? Raise the frontend of the sled and unhook the hose that goes into the themostat housing. Fill your sytem by puoring coolant into that hose rather than into the bottle. keep filling until coolant starts to come out from the head.

Vertical Asshauler

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Could be nothing more than an airlock too. Did you just have the motor out, or empty of coolant? Raise the frontend of the sled and unhook the hose that goes into the themostat housing. Fill your sytem by puoring coolant into that hose rather than into the bottle. keep filling until coolant starts to come out from the head.

I dont understand taking off the thermostat rad hose when you can just open the bleed screw to fill. It take only a good quality 8mm socket to break it loose.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I dont understand taking off the thermostat rad hose when you can just open the bleed screw to fill. It take only a good quality 8mm socket to break it loose.

Agreed for the most part. Alot of the bleed screws are stripped by now because people haven't used quality sockets. Second, it bleed quicker and better with the BIG hole by taking the hose off. Third, If you use the hose to fill into, you can pull it up alot higher than the top of the coolant bottle, making it once again, quicker,easier, and a more complete bleed of the system. I use to use the bleeder too and seldom had issues. Once I was shown the hose method, I no longer touch the bleeder.

Premium Features