• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thermostat?

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Im in the process of doing it now. Ive got the thermostat and some spare coolant hose just need to do it. Might do it today ill try to take some pics as i do it. Seems pretty easy tho. Will also need a T Fitting can get from local hardware store for a buck or 2.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Ill put it in tomorrow evening and take some pictures for everyone. Seems like lots of people are wanting to know how to do this. It seems pretty straight forward. IF you have the 08 800 Thermostat you wil notice its a T Fitting with one extra little one on top.

THat little one on top gets plugged. The top one goes to the fitting on top of the motor. The one on the side all alone goes to the cooler. Then the one on the other side (side that has the other 2 fittings on the top) goes to a T fitting you have to splice into the hose that goes to the bottom of the motor in front.

D
Feb 27, 2008
Thanks for all the input on this seem like it would help the RT motor run at warmer temps lookin forward to some pics Thanks Alot!!!

X
Apr 2, 2003
Wyoming
Here is what Al wrote me when he sent the pictures. "the thermostate is a doo part , the t or y is a hardware item , and the 10 inches or hose was an auto store item"

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
yep exactly how i was going to do it. And a just fyi for those doing it since you cant really tell from the pic. The nipple on the thermostat that goes back under the coolant resevoir, It connects to the hose coming from the bottom of the front of cooler which normally connects to the top of the motor. Its REALLY easy to do if you bypassed your front cooler allready.

T
Jun 17, 2008
what is also had to distinguish is the curved hose you see in the front with the zip ties around it , is a 3/4 hose under neath as opposed to the 1 inch one from the head to the t stat, we put the extra hose over it to protect it from the heat.
better than the t fitting i used in the pic is a y connection if you can get one .takes a lot of the bend out of the line and you would not need to do the extra hose over it as it would be closer to the block .

P

papa bear

Nov 26, 2007
Hobart, WA
cooling system for 06 RT attached

I think you're saying Y connector would go in hose (#7) and the T-stat would go in hose (#2)

RTcooling.jpg

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Yep Y or T into hose 7. Thermostat goes into hose 2. Make sure the hose you run to the Y or T on hose 7 goes to the 3/4 fitting on the the Thermostat. then the 1" side of thermostat opposite of the 3/4 side goes to hose 2. Then you run another piece of hose from the top of the Thermostat to the Top of the head on the motor. Cap off little one and done.

D
Feb 27, 2008
Awesome going to get parts tomorrow thank you for all the help and pics! this will give us all a better piece of mind on are motors. Thanks Again!

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
I used a 90 degree T if you know what i meen. its a 90 with a nipple going straight up that makes like an L. you want the 2 nipples that are at a 90 1inch and the one that goes up a 3/4inch. that makes for simple plumbing. Or just buy a 1" T or Y and then get a 1" to 3/4 Reducer to run to the inlet side of the thermostat.

I
Oct 10, 2001
you guys should really install a water temp guage on the 1000. i didnt install a thermostat on my 05 but what i did was cover 18 inches of the in tunnel cooler (from the back forward) with some abs plastic.........stuck it on with silicone and havent looked back. the sled will run up to 150 degrees on the trail and allways stays above 100 off trail (the main fix for the rt engine) most blow up from running cold. the 06 could be in need of a t stat i dont know but on my 05 this did the trick

C
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary, AB
Hey TurboAl, Clint here from Calgary... I was at your shop last year, and you mentioned that you can drop in a thermostat right in the head of my 07 REV? If so, which thermostat would I order? Would it be from an 06, seeing the 08's have the inline external thermostat?

I am trying to avoid the crank bearings from seizing, as this is a known problem for the 07's. I am planning on installing a water temp gauge, and thought the thermostat would be a good idea...

O
Nov 27, 2007
Kamloops
I used a 90 degree T if you know what i meen. its a 90 with a nipple going straight up that makes like an L. you want the 2 nipples that are at a 90 1inch and the one that goes up a 3/4inch. that makes for simple plumbing. Or just buy a 1" T or Y and then get a 1" to 3/4 Reducer to run to the inlet side of the thermostat.

SAWEEET, thanks Phil!!

Premium Features